Topic

Thru Hike List-PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Thru Hike List-PCT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Craddock

@pcraddock

Okay, any glaring oversights? Thank you thank you thank you.

Main Gear:
    Granite Gear Vapor Trail backpack
    Tarptent Contrail
    Alcohol Stove
    WM Alpinlite bag
    Ground Cloth, tyvek
    TiGoat poles

Clothes:
    Upper:
    Sun Shirt
    Pata Wind Shirt
    Pata R1 Hoody
    Pata Micropuff Vest
    O2 Rainjacket for desert
    I'll take a short hiking shirt instead of the sunshirt, and a better rain jacket (marmot precip), in the mountains.
    TOO MUCH?

Lowers:
    2 pair underwear
    shorts
    Pata Zip off pants
    long underwear
    (no rain paints, i'll deal)

Feet:
    running shoes
    2 pairs socks

Head:
    big hat
    warm hat
    sunglasses

Other:
    small swiss army knife
    med kit
    stretchy nylonish gloves
    small compass
    aquamira
    2 platypus bottles 2Liter
    small journal
    Ipod 4g with solar charger
    book, maps, etc.
    duct tape

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Do you have the floorless version of the contrail? If you do the tyvek ground sheet is a good choice. The tyvek is overkill IMHO if you have the floored version. I use a GG polycyro ground cloth with my floored contrail with good results. The polycyro is 4 oz lighter than a tyvek sheet and packs up alot smaller.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Some comments based on my experience on the PCT.

1. Bring your sunshirt for the whole hike. And consider sun gloves for your hands. Your hands will fry in the desert with trekking poles.

2. Bring more than 2 pairs of socks, probably three at any one time. Wash them constantly. I frequently changed socks twice a day in SoCal.

3. Have fun. I haven't finished yet, but I've thoroughly enjoyed my time on the PCT.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

I'd ditch the Rainjacket and just stick with the windshirt in the desert.

Consider adding another couple L water capacity for the desert. I'm no expert on this (i'm thru-hiking this year too), but surely you're gonna need AT LEAST 6 L in certain sections. Of course you can play it by ear, but at least check the asabat water report online before you leave and make sure that 4 L will work for you until you get to Lake Morena or somewhere where you can buy more bottles if need be.

2 pairs of underwear? Hey, I know this is very personal. A man who doesn't hike in underwear probably shouldn't give advice, but on the AT I never saw anyone with more than one pair.

Patrick Craddock

@pcraddock

A rain jacket for the desert does sound kind of dumb. That being said, I spent a month in the canyonlands with 6 days of downpours, and a week of heavy snow. Go figure.

Thanks for the advice guys.

pc

Patrick Craddock

@pcraddock

One more thing Stuart, if you read this. I do have the floorED contrail, so I'll bring a lighter ground sheet. I have some silnylon sp? that my friend gave me. Is that stuff waterproof? It certainly is light. Can I cut it or will it fray? Also, is it easy to get this GC poly groundsheet? Do I order this or can I find it at REI. I live in Austin, so sometimes it's hard to find lightweight outdoor gear.

Dave T

@davet

Dave T

@davet

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Hi Patrick.

Im in Australia, and I'm jealous! One day Ill take a few months off for a PCT thru-hike.

But make sure you take a camera!!! I didnt see it on the list…stuff the weight, some people want to see where you have been, and its nice to be able to put a nice photo up on the wall at home to always remind you of the good times out in the wilderness.

Adam

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I've never used polycryo, nor have I hiked in a desert, but as I understand it, polycryo is heat shrink plastic and isn't appropriate for high temps. Be sure you figure this out before you plan on using it.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Suggestions: Just use your zip-off pants for shorts, not a separate pair of shorts. Your ground cloth does not need to cover the entire floor of your shelter. Make it the size of your sleeping bag. It is nice to have lightweight waterproof over mitts in case it is both raining and cold. It does not take much cold to make the fingers numb enough to make small tasks difficult. I also like the Golite windshirt, one model has a hood and zipper front. These pack small fit right in a pant pocket, can be worn for warmth, rain repellant, and to bed, ie. another lightweight layer. When drying a wet pair of socks, hang them from your pack with a safety pin. Rotate wearing two pair of ankle length socks, use a crew length pair only worn while in camp.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools