Topic

Google Maps Adds Topographic Information

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Google Maps Adds Topographic Information

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

From the Google Lat Long Blog

Google Maps Terrain feature now includes the addition of topographic information giving a clearer picture of the terrain. Below is the an excerpt, click the link for the full story.

"Last summer, I used the contour lines on a topographic map to find my way around the Adirondacks. When I joined Google Seattle as an intern in the fall, I was hoping to do something that would impact everyday users. I was given the same responsibility and freedom that a full-timer enjoys, and armed with this, I set out to add contour lines to Terrain Maps — not just in the Adirondacks, but across the globe! Now when you view Terrain Maps, you'll see contour lines, making it easier to determine the slope of the land."read the full story

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

This is really cool. I just checked out an off trail route in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness.

Somehow I feel like I'm cheating, by scoping out the location of small saddles and passes to get around. On the other hand, maybe I'm getting too old to make any more wrong turns…

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Tim,

In my opinion looking at a map online is no different than researching a route on a regular topo – – hardly cheating.

– Sam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools