Topic

Good container for hot liquid (Not a debate about linings etc…)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good container for hot liquid (Not a debate about linings etc…)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hey everyone,

In spite of everything going on in the thread about BPA's and such, I'm curious about a good container for hot liquids. I don't care what it's lined with or what it does to me. I just want it to keep liquids hot and to not leak. My girlfriend wants this mainly for around town, but she may take it backpacking. It it's light that's great. She was all for me trying to find the lightest functional option for her.

So I'm looking to get a thermos that will keep things warm. I'm asking hear to see what the lightest option around is. I considered SIGG, but I figure all the light ones must be single wall so I don't think that will work. It gets hot right? All the containers advertised as mugs are HEAVY. Is this the reality of the situation?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Guyot Designs, SS Bottles, Double-Wall. Way lighter than other thermos's on teh market… but a little hard to find.

Lexan will keep warm… but nothing beats a true double wall. Well… I guess you could slip either into a bottle cozy…

PS – Depending on your volume requirement (I presume it's holding coffe / tea) this might work. (note it's metal inside)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Get a metal "bullet" thermos that is metal inside.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

These work well:

http://www.mysigg.com/index.aspPageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=323

They keep coffee or tea hot for 8 to 10 hours of around town, office, or school use.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

That's great that SIGG's are double walled. I should have done my research. I think I'm getting kind of lazy because the advice here is so good. Next time I ask questions like this people should just respond "You have the internet."

I think I will go for a SIGG. I like them :)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Joshua – I just checked the Guyot Designs website and saw only single-walled containers. Are they not making double-walled ones anymore?

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Yeah, I only saw single wall containers at the Guyot site too. And their bottles have plastic lids from the looks of it. The Klean Kanteen lids have metal threads with a plastic top/grips.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Yeah – after an extensive search I've not been able to find a retailer that still has the double wall version.

Please note, the lids are glass filled nylon… a plastic that 1) has yet to have any scare about leaching 2) isn't in contact with the liquid for an appreciable amount of time anyway. So, please, dispense with the knee-jerk 'plastic is bad' attitude if you haven't though it through completely.

Also, please do not state materially incorrect facts… Kleankanteens come, by default, with PP caps. SS Caps are an optional extra purchase.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

In case you have a Starbucks down the road, you can often pick up a bullet style one for $20. That is a lot cheaper than the SIGG ones….just saying.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

For those thinking of using Klean Kanteen as a thermos, do realize they are single wall! Stainless steel gets hot fast and ow! So don't forget that!

"Can I put hot liquids in my Klean Kanteen?
    No. Klean Kanteens are single walled and not for use with HOT liquids. Warm beverages can be used at personal comfort level."

"Is the Kanteen a thermos?
    No. A Kanteen is a single-walled bottle and has little insulating properties. Keep in mind that if your drink is boiling hot, the Kanteen will be too hot to directly handle. The single-walled construction allows for more volume and the option to put your Kanteen on a flame."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools