Topic

DriDucks vs. Rainshield O2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DriDucks vs. Rainshield O2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Wiesenfeld

@davidwiesenfeld

I am currently using a campmor anorak and rain pants for rain protection that weight 9 oz and 7 oz respectively and am considering moving to something lighter – I was thinking either a DriDucks or Rainshield rain suit. What do people think of these in terms of performance vs. more conventional, woven nylon options (the woven/nonwoven is the major difference, right)? Has anyone had any experience with both the DriDucks and Rainshield products?

Anonymous
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

DriDucks are waterproof and amazingly breathable. The achiles heel is that they are easily torn. If you can be sure that you will be able to baby them in all conditions, they may work well for you. During a recent four day trip, I ripped first the pants and later the jacket. I won’t be replacing them.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have a pair of DriDucks, and I agree with Donald regarding their fragility. They’ll do fine for the most part, but do be careful when going through thick overgrowth and be very careful where you lean against and where you sit.

I believe Rainshield O2 is pretty darn fragile too; and if true, then between the two, I would go for the cheaper DriDucks.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

According to an email I received from Glen Van Peski, DriDucks are the same thing as O2. Same “fit” isssue, same weird hood size issue, same fragile material, same “storm flap” issue, different color (beige rather than yellow).

I’ll probably get DriDucks, if/when my O2 jacket finally becomes worthless.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Dri Ducks and 02 Rainwear are both easily repaired in the field with duct tape…have been using O2 Rainwear for 3 years and Dri Ducks for six months…both with repairs, some three years old…both doing well, still waterproof windproof and breathable…Be prepared for the odor issue, if used for a couple months continuously…once it builds up washing only helps reduce odor, it does not eliminate and it will quickly return…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools