Topic

Anyone Has Experience with the Ratsack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone Has Experience with the Ratsack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    John Larson

@j-larson

Try an Outsak. This bag is a similar product to a Ratsack, its available at Grand Canyon.

There are alternatives, I guess thats what counts. Ratsack has a poor rating on BBB of Arizona website.

Outsak doesn't have a rating, but it is available from many places. I think ebay even has a few.

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

Mr. Larson; I've noticed that all your posts to date have been extolling the virtues of the Outsack, while advising against their competitors (namely Ratsack and GrubPack). It's particularly interested that you've resurrected two dead threads in order to do so.

Based on your 8/11 post, it sounds like you had one good experience with your Outsack, and had zero bad experiences with Ratsack and/or GrubPack. Is this accurate?

And as far as the Better Business Bureau report related to the Ratsack distributors, it appears that there have been 5 complaints in the past 3 years…all due to delivery issues. All of these issues were either resolved, or there was no follow up from the complainant.

Note that I have no interest in any of the companies above…don't even own any of the products.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

>>What is Larson's association with outsak?<<

No idea. Perhaps he will enlighten us. I'd hope that he's just a satisfied customer, but you never know.

John Larson

@j-larson

no affiliation with anyone-

ratsack took some money from a buddy-it took him months to work it out.

I'm glad there are alternatives available.

I like a stove you can cook on-nonoe of those stoves that boil in 10 seconds are for me.

I spemd a lot of time hiking, and like to eat good food. I leke to cook, pocket rocket/jet boil don't allow for cooking. Try a dragonfly from msr.

Lets talk tents. I like Big Agnes tents-lighweight and easy set up.

I also like Osprey backpacks, although I can be convinced to carry a gregory. Take kelty and throw it out the window.

I do like outsak, that is true. but before you jump on me, why not ask some of the other posts that seem to be extolling the values of other gear.

I am opinionated. That won't change.

Go Outsak. I hope you bust ratsacks a^%!

Don't forget Leki Poles.

What Jer Mo said is dead on about Ratsack. My bet is there are more problems than BBB has listed.

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

>>no affiliation with anyone-

ratsack took some money from a buddy-it took him months to work it out.<<

Thanks for clarifying. Apologize if I offended you, but it seemed odd that your posts were so narrowly focused. Knowing the back story definitely helps explain a lot, though.

I do wonder how that GrubPack would stand up to the Outsack, though. Seem very similar.

John Larson

@j-larson

I think what is important is that some people decided to step up and make a piece of gear available that was needed.

Don't care where you buy–just don't waste your hard earned $$$ on a compnay that may have no intention of mailing your order.

Jeff Walker

@grubman

Locale: Midwest

First of all, let me be 100% up front. My name is Jeff Walker and I make the GrubPack. I've been following this discussion, and thought I might be able to set a few things straight. The make-up of all of these steel mesh bags is pretty similar. When you think about it, it's a pretty low tech concept.

I've been hiking for the better part of 45 years. The Grand Canyon is a slice of heaven on Earth. Before a trip there a few years ago I tried to buy a steel mesh food bag. Like others have noted, I also had trouble getting one. It was then I decided to make my own, and later decided to make a few improvements and sell them to others.

To my knowledge, outsack and ratsack are both very fine products. I'm sure the other makers are proud of their bags, just as I am of mine, but I can only speak informatively about GrubPack.

I build each one to do what it says it will do. GrubPacks are built to keep small rodents and birds out of your food cache. I personally inspect and pack each one for delivery. It's a very well made, sturdy bag. I make no wild-eyed promises, but I do believe the GrubPack is a first-rate product and it will serve you well. It will always ship within 2 or 3 days of your order. If you are good enough to place an order with GrubPack, have no doubts, you WILL receive yours.

You won't find GrubPack in any store. For pricing purposes, I sell ONLY on my GrubPack website. Without a retailer getting his/her mark-up, I can sell a quality bag for less money. I understand that retailers make for convenient shopping for some folks, but I've made the personal decision to sell at the lowest price possible. If I miss a few sales because of it, I can live with that.

I won't give my website address here(and I don't mean to ramble on for free advertisement) but a google search will get you there.

Finally, if you're planning a trip to any of the small rodent-infested backcountry areas of our beautiful America, don't go without a ratsack, outsack or a GrubPack. Those furry little critters are a real pain in the rear end!

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

ah, what the hell… ive been shameless before and i'll be shameless again…

http://WWW.GRUBPACK.COM

:)

Billy Huesgan

@pointman

I had a Ratsack for about two years. I loved it. Used it through out the Grand Canyon, Utah and Nevada on various trips. I "loaned" it to a "friend" and never saw it again. (Lesson learned!) I couldn't get another Ratsack from the company so I bought a Grubpack on line. I ordered one and received it without a problem. I've had it for only about 6 or 7 months now. It's been working very well for me. Seems like a good piece of gear.

pointman

jim strong

@climbinggoat

I scoped out both companies late last week. I liked what the simpleoutdoorstore had to say.

I sent an email asking both companies why I should by their bag.

Outsak spelled out the benefits of their product, and expalined to me why they got started making these bags.

***somewhere in here I offended someone****

I bought an Outsak. it should be here on Tuesday.

I'll let you know what I think after it arrives and I use it.

I'm going to use it on a trip to Mexico. I got a little hut I rent for super cheap in a tiny little town, been going for 6 years now. I will not tell anyone about it, because when you do, it only gets ruined. Just like any hiking book out there, write about it once and you will ruin that spot.

The hut has rodent problems, as you can imagine. There are cats everywhere, but mice live on

I'm going the second full week in October.

jim strong

@climbinggoat

te-wa

what is is that you have in your picture,

is that a big down bag or an air mattress? I can't quite make it out.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Te-Wa makes underquilts for hammocks. Search his other posts or go to hammockforums.net.

Jeff Walker

@grubman

I was stunned by the posting Climbinggoat did regarding my GrubPack. I feel like I've been blindsided. His inquiry to me said that my website didn't convince him to choose GrubPack. My response gave the history of why I make GrubPack and other information not available on the GrubPack website. I certainly did NOT make negative comments regarding Outsack.

Jeff

jim strong

@climbinggoat

I tried finding you on the hannock forum,

is there a direct link you can send me?

I'm very curious about your product.

When I am in Mexico I actually use a hammock in my hut, makes it harder for the mice to get to me. The palce has eyebolts on opposite corners of the hut, the first year I didn't understand what they were there for. The second year I showed up and the last person left their hammock behind. My back got a bit sore, but I didn't wake up with mouse droppings all around me.

I will be at about 6500 ft, tell me about your bag or post a link. It will be cool at night, not cold.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon
    jim strong

@climbinggoat

thank you sir—on my way

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

It's not a bag. Below is the link hoping this isn't for self promotion…

http://www.te-waunderquilts.blogspot.com/

ferris jrf

@ferrisjrf

>>I sent an email asking both companies why I should by their bag.<<

I'd love to see these emails. Particularly interested in evidence to substantiate this statement: "…grubpak seemed to be focused on bitterness towards Outsak."

jim strong

@climbinggoat

Grubman had posted the email this morning, then he edited his post.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

the irony here, dear reader, is that you'll have a hard time using a hammock in Grand Canyon.

so im torn between Outsack and Grubpack..i really dont like White Velcro –

jim strong

@climbinggoat

not using a hammock in GC. Going to Mexico……………

I haven't had a chance to check you out…but i'm curious

you should contact them both and see how they sell it to you

make these guys earn their $$$

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

upon a recommendation of a very respected local backpacker i went with this: (further adding to the confusion, a 3rd party is now involved in your decision making, aint life great?)

http://packerlandglass.com/foodsack.html

"not using a hammock in GC. Going to Mexico……………"
    i know, Jim i was just adding a bit of humor since the Ratsack conversation revolved around use of that product in Grand Canyon. fwiw, my quilt will be fine in temps as low as 25 and as high as 70°.

jim strong

@climbinggoat

wow a third choice….yeah for options.
    that can only be good for us(the consumer). i wonder how the folks at armored outdoor feel about all these options

come back and tell us how it worked out, when you get a chance to use it

i'll do the same

i think I saw that mentioned om another forum

anyways, back to my 3 walls and swivel chair

Jeff Walker

@grubman

te-wa: Your concern about white Velcro is a common one. I use white Velcro, thread and belting on the GrubPack for a real reason. As you might guess, white has better UV reflective qualities than dark colors. Over years of use white stays cooler and does not become brittle as fast as dark Velcro. I know this from over 30 years of fabricating various sun-exposed outdoor products in business. And the white components are all cleanable.

ferris jrf: If you (or others) would like to contact me directly, I'll be happy to forward the email I sent to climbinggoat regarding the GrubPack. I think you'll see that I was not "bitter". Life's too short for that.

climbinggoat: Thanks for somewhat editing your posting regarding my email to you. Your original comments about me were quite unfair. People on these forums want to trust what they read. No hard feelings I hope.

Now, let's get out there and go for a hike.
    Jeff
    [email protected]

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools