Topic

Calculating your Cardiac Output…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Calculating your Cardiac Output…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Does anyone know how to calculate your cardiac output? Of course, without being in a labratory, it's going to be an estimate at best.

(I'm searching for things on google, but you never know what you are going to get from the internet).

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Stroke Volume" or "VO2Max" ?

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I think my Physiology prof. said VO2 max was really hard to calculate. Do you know a way?

I need to know stroke volume for my test next week….
    Stroke Volume would be "End Diastolic Volume – End Systolic Volume", but I don't know how to calculate EDV and ESV.

Cardiac Output, or the amount of blood that gets pushed through your body in one minute, is what I am looking for. Average male at rest is 5L. It can get up to 30L/min for elite athletes.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I think in order to calculate one of the steps for CO, you need to know SV.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I think my Physiology prof. said VO2 max was really hard to calculate. Do you know a way?"

Ryan,
    I do not. But Google "joe friel" and "vo2 max" to get some ideas. Typically it is quantitativly found in a lab, monitoring respiration gases as levels of exertion go to max. For a cyclist it's associated heart rate is a percentage of HR max., but that doesn't lead to "52 L/min.".

Good Luck.

Michael Chamoun
    BPL Member

@snowchief

Locale: SoCal

To be most accurate you need to run on a treadmill in a lab with all the necessary equipment etc.
    There is a rough estimate way of getting VO2 Max and that is running 1.5 miles and using time and pluggin it in a formula.

David Wills

@willspower3

this is a general guide based on running times, but is derived from lots of research and stats:
    http://www.runnersweb.com/running/vo2.shtml

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools