Topic

SUL list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists SUL list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

SUL pack (dyneema gridstop, Jay Ham
    pattern) 9.3 oz
    10 deg. down quilt 28 oz
    9×5 silnylon tarp
    w/stakes and cord 14oz
    torso sized pad 4oz
    driducks jacket 5oz
    Liberty Ridge windcoat 3oz
    big trash bag
    (pack liner/groundcloth) 4oz
    Photon ReX light +AAA 1oz
    knife/firesteel 1oz
    map 4oz
    1st aid/repair/tinder 3oz
    3L platypus bladder 4oz
    Total: 5 lbs!!!!
    **weights are mostly estimates, but the loaded pack on an old spring scale read sub 5
    Sacrifices: 1 oz compass, 7 oz primaloft vest, 3 oz windpants, esbit or open fire cookgear, lighter, extra socks, headlamp,…
    my sleeping bag is heavy and warm, and my tarp is "heavy" silnylon but I don't feel like buying/making a thinner bag and a Cuben tarp. I prefer not to have a disposable pack.
    I live in the San Juans, so the extra clothing could be nice. probably I'll try the sub 5 kit a couple times then go to a 6lb kit.

David Wills

@willspower3

you could drop the LR windcoat. I love my driducks for their breathability. good job on the list

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Where did you get the Dyneema gridstop?
    It was impossible to find for a long time, has that changed?
    and how bout some pix of your pack. I always wanted to make somthing like my Ion but at about 2000 cubes. Much easier to stuff everything in with another 500 or so cubes.
    Thanks!

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

SUL pack
    the dyneema gridstop I got a few years ago for another project, and just recently found a big piece in my fabric boxes, and put it to use. I used the Jay Ham "5 yards to SUL" pattern, but made each side panel 1" wider, and the top 1" taller. It has the D-clip system like my Cilogear packs, and they are spaced so it can clip onto my 60L worksack. Last night I added a zipper to the side pocket.
    I really can't bear to part with my LR shell. everytime I leave it, I regret it, and hiking in the San Juans there is a lot of miles above treeline, where wind gear is more important than elsewhere.

Clothing worn:
    long sleeve EMS zip-T techwick
    cord around neck with Fox40 whistle and photon freedom light
    Columbia running shorts
    Wild Things Gear schoeller dynamic pants
    Darn Tough thin running socks
    Montrail Hardrock (middle and bottom layers of tongue cut out) w/OR rocky mountain low gaiters
    Sunglasses and bandana(typically worn all day here, or add 2oz to the pack so I'm not artificially lowering the base weight)
    another sacrifice is the camera.

its still basically winter here, and there will be lots of snow here for 2 months, and we had a really big snow year, so trying this list will have to wait.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Jeremy, one question here. Have you cut out the tongues of your Hardrocks for weight savings or for comfort? I have the same shoes.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

I'd been going tongueless for several years after reading Beyond Backpacking, but now much of my hiking is on rough trails or off trail on talus, scree, snow, etc, so my last couple pairs I've cut out the padding and one side of the tongue, leaving only one layer of tongue in. That way I can have increased breathability, decreased drying time, and they can still be used with shortie gaiters for scree protection. Weight is a nice little bonus, but not the point. the point is breathability while still being able to use gaiters. On the Hardrocks I left the top layer of tongue, on La Sportiva Exum Ridge, I left the bottom layer of fabric. It just depends on the shoe. I also put seam grip on the major seams straight out of the box (so they were still clean), which so far is seeming to help their durability.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Great idea! I'm going to have to try that. I had felt the shoes were slightly tight, and their drying time could be improved.

The only way I can think of to significantly reduce weight in your list is to do the poncho-tarp combo — otherwise, looks pretty minimalistic in the good sense.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

I like the poncho-tarp concept for its simplicity and multi-use, but don't care to be running around above treeline in a thunderstorm on steep talus tripping over my poncho trying not to blow away.
    The real kicker on weight is the sleeping bag, but that is the most expensive to replace.

as a bonus side-note, I just vacuum sealed 4 tinder quicks for an always dry emergency tinder source (even the plastic is probably flammable….) it weights almost nothing, and since it is sealed I'll always count that as backup and not for day-to-day usage.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Jeremy, I do not see a stove/cook system listed, do you go cookless?

I'm embarrassed to admit my three season kit is 9-11 pounds before food and water. Maybe I need to find a BPH (heavy) site to join.

I do not see myself cutting up shoes to drop a little weight. I'm very fit but could likely drop a pound or two prior to starting a trip and then I'd be able to leave the tongue in my heavy Montrail Hardrocks.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

I don't normally go cookless, but in the summer for a couple nights it would be fine. or maybe bring a pot and do cookfires? the lighter weight dry food might make up for the pot's weight.
    9-11 pounds is a lot more normal for me too, especially since most of my backpacking is either guiding campers, so I take my "heavy" Cilogear 60L, ultralight personal gear, then guide gear, group gear, and food. Or I'll be out for some backcountry rock climbing, so its ultralight personal stuff in the 60L, plus a rope, rack, harness, helmet, slings, biners, maybe some glacier gear, food,…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools