Topic

Big Sur

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

Locale: Sierra

Can anyone recommend a route in Big Sur? I'm going up for a week of car camping, and would like to do a quick overnighter on the trail before the rest of my group arrives.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Around 500 meters south of the entrance to big sur state park is the trail head for the pine ridge trail into the ventana. It's fairly heavily traveled in the summer, but it's the most convenient option. A description of the first 10 miles is in my sykes hot springs report.

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

Locale: Sierra

How many miles is it to go in and out to the hot springs from the state park?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

it's 10 miles to the hot springs… which was described in the link. There are also a number of nice places past the hot springs if that's too short a distance. One of my favorite official campsites is Redwood camp which is 13-14 miles in, but there are plenty of other options.

–mark

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

So many great places in Ventana. Pat Springs is awesome parking at Botchers Gap. It's about 8-9miles in. Also Pine valley is epic. Park at China camp and hike 6 miles in. Vencente flats is nice with views of ocean on the hike. Park across from Kirk Creek camp ground and hike about 4 miles. Big Sur is a magical place.
    Have fun, Josh

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

i just hiked that trail two weeks ago.

unfortunately, it was spring break for the local high schools so the trail was fairly crowded.

the springs were cool though; once you hit the big sur river, you cross it and turn left. wade thru the creek and then cross back over and stay to the west side (you have to do this unless you want to cross a steep cliff face area). then there are three pools about a 1/4 mile down. they are fairly small but i had one to myself where i soaked for about 20 mins.

there were about 20-30 people camped in the area, so i bailed and headed back to a site that was just above the first creek you cross. i had that area to myself. i hiked out the next morning.

the trail conditions are good. it felt like summer at the beginning of the hike. hot and dusty, with lots of blossoming lupine and shooting stars, but poison oak as well. that first bit is south facing so that explains the summer-like conditions. thereafter, its normal ventana hiking.

josh, mike, and i did the ridge trail from china camp at the beginning of march– that area is much more rugged, weith trail conditions a bit sketchy with lots and lots of downed trees and even snow (thats probabaly melted by now).

i like the vicente flat hike. its farther south than julia pfeiffer SP but some cool redwood stands and springs at the camp– neat fact– these are the lowest coastal redwoods in the world.

anyway, enjoy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools