Topic

Help selecting a waterproof stuff sack for storing my down sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help selecting a waterproof stuff sack for storing my down sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hello all,

I'm looking for a little advice on selecting a waterproof stuff sack for storing my down sleeping bag. I typically don't like storing my sleeping bags in their designated compression sack because (a) I eff on the side of conservativism where damaging the bag via over-compression is concerned and (b) I find that allowing my bag to expand in an oversized stuff sack and fill up the nooks and crannies at the bottom of my pack helps me to pack more comfortably.

I've just switched to a down bag for the first time though, and I think (?) I should make a move towards storing the bag in a waterproof stuff sack.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

I've been eyeing up the Sea To Summit eVac bags, the Outdoor Research Helium Dry Sacks, and the Outdoor Research Hydrolite Pack Stuff Sacks. But I'm not certain that the OR bags are actually waterproof or just waterproof-ish.

Are there other options I haven't listed?

I'd like to get one at REI while the 20% sale is happening.

Thanks!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The was a comparision of dry sacks which looked at a number of options.

I don't have a lot of experience. have tried the Sea to Summit ultra-sil, hydrolite stuff sacks, and the Outdoor Research Helium Dry Sacks. All have been effective on rainy backpacking trips when water resistant protection was adaquate. The helium dry sack has also be used on more water oriented outings like kayaking and done well and done fine. The ultra-sil failed a bathtub test so it has been relegated to uses where water resistant is good enough. The other approach is to use a pack liner such as sold by gossamer gear.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

Thanks for the pictures of your scientific process.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Why not make your own out of 1.3 oz silnylon plus some silicone sealer (hardware store variety is fine, thinning helps) and a bit of cord. Stuff sacks are the easiest thing in the world to make, as long as you can sew a straight line. Buy some silnylon (cosmetic seconds are fine), get scraps from a friend, whatever.

I like the RayWay design, with the long fabric tube at the mouth that can be wound up and folded back down. These are as waterproof as you can get in a UL stuff sack.

I also use a 2 mil polyethylene pack liner, just to be safe!

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

David I use Exped Dry bags and they work. I put my down bag in its own dry bag and all my gear then goes in a 65L dry bag all made by Exped. I live in the UK and it rains a lot and I have never had wet equipment.

Takatsugu Masuda

@hardcorehiker

Locale: Tokyo

plan B.

size L, 25 Liters, 65 g (manufacturer's specification 56 g)

Western Mountaineering bag.

Matthew Robinson
    Spectator

@mcjhrobinson

Locale: Waaay West

if you like having your sleeping bag filling up space why not get a contractors trash bag (thick mil) with a rubber band and always have the hole pointed to the ground? maybe im just a cheap-o. only downside would be possible condensation. aloha!

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Two supermarket plastic bags.
    Stuff sleeping bag, tie top.
    Turn upside down, put in second bag, tie top.
    Push into bottom of pack.

Pack is lined with another bigger plastic bag that everything goes inside of. Sleeping mat is wrapped around inside of pack perimeter as 'frame'.
    Has worked so far.

Although if swimming rivers/creeks I would do something else.

Matthew Swierkowski

@berserker

Locale: Southeast

I 2nd the trash compactor bag idea. You can get a roll of 10 2-mil bags from Wal-Mart for less than $5. Cheap, tough and waterproof. And best of all if you ruin 1 you have 9 more.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Third on compactor bags. I've been on the same box of thirty of these for years. Cheap, durable, waterproof.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Fourth on Trash Compactor Bags.

I will add that I've kept my down bag dry in them when my entire pack has been submerged while using it as a floatation device.

Float

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

…my OR Dry Sack came in the mail on Saturday. Looks like the chorus of support for the trash bags came too late!

Oh well, it wasn't expensive and it'll be fun to experiment with various set ups.

Thanks for all the info and opinions. Appreciated as always.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools