Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tahoe Rim Trail gear list

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

hey Frank, I had a BA pad and returned it looking for the new clear one thats a little lighter. The standard one was great but im always looking to lighten my load.

The quilt will be homemade and at present i am planning a 3/4 length because of the jacket im bringing. A few overnighters before the trip will help me dial in the sleep system.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Dave, Thanks for all the great info. Looking forward to reading your gear list. We might cross paths if my trip gets pushed back, never know how the work schedule goes… I am very familiar with the area as well since ive grown up in this area. I think a map(going to cut the lake out of the middle) and my button compass will be fine for me and my needs. I obviously can not recommend this for anyone else as your skills/motivation/technique may very. Safety is always at the top of my list and I do not feel im compromising MY safety on the trt with only a button compass.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jeff & Dave,

Thanks for this post and your feed back.

It has really been education/insightful, as I am going on the same trip in Sept of this year.

Hopefully, when you are done, you can post a quick trip report of your experiences.

Enjoy your respective trips on the TRT and be safe.

-Tony

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

I am taking all kinds of notes about everything, have been revamping gear stuff on a daily basis. I am starting to home in on some of the big items. I will have a trip report, gear report and pics when I return. I am thankful for all the help i have received from everyone on this site. It is only fair of me to return the favor in any small way I can. Thanks for reminding me to update the gear list.

Jeff

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Well I received my zip last week and was very disappointed that it didnt fit me well. The design and quality of the pack where top notch and everything I wanted. Just wasnt a good fit for my body. I would highly recommend this pack to anyone thinking about it. Ron makes great products. I have come to the conclusion that until my weight loss goals are reached my frame is not suitable for a frameless pack(I have tried a few out now). Last summer I took a z55 along on a weekend trip to yosemite and was very pleased with it. I returned the pack due to the volume and at the time, trying to cut the weight more. I have emailed gregory packs and was helped by their customer service rep George and was happy to find out the Z35 has the exact same frame and suspension as its bigger brother. I have come to terms with having to carry the pack for now and in the future it will do great duty when I need to carry a heavier load on any trips that warrant such pack weights.

I have finished my design for my quilt and will be ordering my material for it hopefully very soon.

Still trying to figure out what tarp and bug bivy setup to use. If funds arent permitted(see child just born) then I can always carry the extra weight of the lunar duo that I have.

Overall this trip is a great starting point for my long distance adventures. Even if a few of my items are "heavy" my overall load will be like carrying feathers compared to my old scout days. I remember carrying 40+ pounds for overnighters as a teen. Even with the heavier pack and tent I will still be hopefully well under 30 when packed full of food and water. I am ok with that.

Dave T

@davet

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Jeff,

Good luck on your quest for the perfect pack for you.

Last year I a 50 mile trip in Yosemite and the 70 mile High Sierra Trail using the Z55, which was just a dream to carry the 35 lbs of gear that I had.

This year I am trying out the Jam2 to further cut weight.

Dave,

Thanks again for the tip on mountain bikers.

I'll have to find out which days are biking and non biking days.

My friend and I are planning to go after Labor Day in Sept, so we hope that there are as few people as possible.

We are thinking of doing two resupplies and going as light and fast as we can.

We are giving ourselves 10 days to finish, but hope to do it sooner.

How many resupplies are you planning for yourself and where?

I was not sure if we were going to try to mail ourselves a parcel of supplies to pickup in town or buying locally.

I checked out the TRT trip report that was on BPL, which had a link to a site with a video blog of the trail. Looks like it will be an amazing trip with a well groomed trail.

-Tony

Dave T

@davet

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Dave,

Holy Cow man…that is some serious mileage there per day.

What do you think your pack weight will be?

I am hoping to get away with no more than 20 lbs total weight including 1 L water and 3 days of food.

I am experimenting with using a MLD Soul Side Zip Bivy and MLD Poncho Tarp to cut weight….if I am lucky, I can get away with using my Marmot Atom 40 degree 1 lb down bag.

The kicker is that it sounds like they require a bear vault of some sort, which just pains me at being over 2 lbs empty.

I am hoping that the URsack gets its conditional approval back.

At best, I only consider myself light weight with a base weight optomistically at 12.83 lbs, without any sort of bear vault.

Really appreciate the tips….I have the TRT Offical Book and a map of the trail, but not the one that you are talking about.

Will have to get it.

-Tony

Dave T

@davet

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I spoke with the Tahoe Management offices yesterday and they recommend PCT Bear Hanging methods on the TRT. Correct cannisters are not required – however they are heavily recommending hanging your food. Thus it sounds like they want you to hang so that they don't have to go to cannisters. They do provide cannisters (for a small fee – like Yosemite does).

charlie babbage

@babbage

I like the list. I think I could fit all that in my jam2. Modified it weighs 23 ounces and I love to carry it.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Martin,

Thanks for passing along the information on not needing to use a bear canister on the TRT.

There goes 2 lbs of dead weight that I can eject from my pack!

Now I just have to learn how to bear bag….typically, when I throw things up into the trees, they don't come down. :)

-Tony

Dave T

@davet

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I've been backpacking the Tahoe Rim area since 1983 and I've never had any trouble with bears in camp. If you stay away from any of the car camping locations you should not have to worry about bears at all. The Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel is by far the peskiest varmint you'll have to deal with. They'll chew through your food bag while you're holding the bag in your lap. Especially at Susie Lake.

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

i've been bear bagging for years but i recently started using the pct method espoused by our beloved ryan j.

it works great.

i did f*** it up a couple times though. it happens when tired after a long day of hiking. after running the loose cord end through the biner, i forgot to clip the bag with the food onto the biner so i pulled the cord and up went the biner with no weight on it. thats basically a really nice slip knot type of thing. i was able to get the biner down after some major coaxing but it sucked b/c i was tired and not into the hassle.

so just make sure you clip the food onto the biner before you start pulling it up the tree.

aside from that, its really easy.

as a "rock bag" i save those plastic net things that fruit comes in (oranges, avocados, etc.) and put (smooth) rocks in those. they weigh nothing but wear out after 5 or 6 uses.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

What about an Ursack? 5 ounces and you don't have to deal with hanging. Been hiking that part of the Sierra's my whole life and I have never had a bear problem.

Instead of a poncho why not a Six Moond Designs Gatewood Cape with the Serenity. This would be a double use system.
    Just a thought

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Is there ample "trees" along the TRT to bear bag? I was thinking primarily on the east side between Tahoe Meadows and Kingsbury North

Dave T

@davet

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I just sleep with my food and have a pile of rocks next
    to my bag to throw at bears and squirrels. The bears here
    are not aggressive, so I am. The local bear huggers last summer were feeding bears in the back country due to lack
    of food and overpopulation, so some may be accustomed to
    human food.

Biggest hazards I see this time of year are sunburn, dehydration, foot injuries, overuse injuries. We have
    had some frost lately too.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I carry a tiny Gerber folding lock blade knife for backpacking.

For backpack hunting I carry a Norwegian HELLA GT fixed blade with its leather sheath which weighs “only” 7.3 oz. Beautiful and high quality with a laminated stainless steel blade.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I hope your tip will help on his 2008 trip!!

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools