Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tahoe Rim Trail gear list

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

alright well here it is so far. i will edit and change it as it happens.

First i will list everything im pretty firm on including its actual weight. All weights are in ounces.

.95 – petzel e-lite
    6.4 – knife
    0.5 – firesteel
    .65 – spork
    1.2 – 2l platy
    1.2 – 2l platy(these might change)
    .34 – Soap/toothpaste
    0.4 – coleman compass/temp keychain
    1.0 – tp
    0.5 – toothbrush
    1.0 – towel
    0.6 – med kit(this will go up a hair with some meds and repair items)
    1.5 – bug spray
    2.0 – rei fleece gloves
    1.5 – balaclava
    1.0 – bandanna
    19 – rei insulated jacket(also part of sleep system)

All the stuff i still need to purchase or weigh. I am not picking up many clothing items until before i leave for my trip. i am training now and plan to go down a clothing size before leaving. Any gear I have an idea of weight on I will post with a ?? after until I have it in hand and weighed.

Gregory Z35 53oz
    Home made quilt ???(ordering material soon)
    tarp – undecided for now, max 10oz??
    bug bivy/groundsheet (same order with quilt) 7oz??
    50ft bear bag rope 1.2oz??
    aquamira 3oz??
    sleep pad – worst case 15oz?? (big agnus clear)
    small bic lighter
    esbit tabs .5oz per tab??
    snowpeak 600 mug – 2.8??
    Ti Tri caldera cone system – 4oz max??
    Smartwool top and bottom
    1 pair smartwool socks
    1 pair crew hiking socks
    2 pairs underwear
    sunglasses

I am undecided on my waterproof clothing. I have a precip now. Not sure but i might go with a poncho tarp to eliminate alot of stuff. if i do this then my bug bivy will change to a more weatherproof version. Still tossing around alot of stuff and am obviously missing things. I will try to keep this as current and accurate as possible.

Jeff

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Jeff,

What month are you going? That'll affect needed raingear, as well as several other items.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

I am planning for mid June. Work and weather could move it to July.

By weather I mean snow, I will carry snowshoes if I have to with my schedule, just prefer not to

S P

@highaltitude

That knife seems pretty heavy.

What kind is it?

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Yes its heavy, but its one of those personal choices. I dont go into the woods with a razorblade.

this is the knife thread

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/12123/index.html?skip_to_post=88876#88876

S P

@highaltitude

I understand what you are saying. I have a huge collection of knives. If I am going out on a day hike with very little gear I always take a large fixed blade knife.

BUT……

When backpacking with all my gear, I don't bother any more.

When backpacking I use to carry a swedish mora which is a great light weight fixed blade that will do everything you need and they only cost $10-15.

I like the 711-G, around 4oz with sheath.

Mora 711-G

Here is a good place to purchase from.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

S P,

The Moras are very nice knives, truly a great deal. I am 6'1, 300 pounds and have some visible tattoos. I can see how I look intimidating to some people(as my fiance puts it). I dont even want to think about carrying an exposed fixed blade on my side. That being said im very ok with those extra 2 ounces. Maybe I wont be after this hike, i will never say never. Just at this point it is what i believe to be my best option.

I am curious to here why you dont carry one at all anymore?

thanks
    Jeff

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi Jeff,

June or July it is. We've got a "normal" snowpack per yesterday's survey, so April-May weather will tell the tale. A hot, dry spring will clear a good deal of it and if the March weather continues, it'll be just that. In any case you're unlikely to need snowsnoes, as the snow will be quite consolidated by the time you go, but some kind of traction might be warranted (instep crampons, Kahtoolas, etc.). Ice axe? Probably not.

You *will* want bug and sun protection! With the nice long days you'd probably be able to cover some serious mileage.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Hello Rick,

I am obviously hoping this great northern California weather will continue. I am intrigued by your idea of only needing instep crampons or the like. I have been throwing around the idea of just bringing a waterproof sock liner and some knee high gaiters. Punching through anything I cant navigate around seems to me like a good strategy if the weather stays the way it is. Adding the instep crampons would give me the traction safety I would need.

I was already planning on the bug and sun protection. Any favorites among you guys in these categories? My bug spray right now is repel 100, the non aerosol 95% deet variety. It has always worked wonders for me. Last year I tried the lemon eucalyptus stuff and it was not very affective.

All this gear talk is making me thirsty for the trail. I cant wait to pump out those long mile days, soon…

S P

@highaltitude

"I am curious to here why you dont carry one at all anymore?"

Because I never used it. I carry a small SAK classic. With all my other gear, this is all I really need while backpacking.

Dave T

@davet

S P

@highaltitude

I also carry the high percentage deet stuff. That and a head net and I am usually good to go. A head net is mandatory gear IMHO.

Sometimes I carry a larger net to hang under my tarp to cover my upper body but usually don't take it. I would though if I was going out in the early season.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi Jeff,

I like 3M Ultrathon time-release repellant, as I can generally apply it only once daily. I've not yet dissolved anything with it, something I can't claim for the high-percentage DEET formulas.

I like the SPF infinity sun goop we get for our daughter (IIRC it's by Coppertone). It doesn't burn like battery acid if I get it in my eyes, and is pretty much scent-free. I've also taken to wearing a sun hat and long pants from late spring through summer.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Dave

I was planning on the two lights because the photon is basically the same weight as the two spare batteries for the e-lite. I guess on a trip of this length I could just start with a fresh set and forget about it….food for thought

The funny thing about the knife is at current time, I dont eat fish. I just love the action and just use catch and release methods. I think it is more piece of mind at this point for this rather un-rural location(compared to say alaska). It will stay for this hike and maybe after i will re-evaluate it.

I was questioning the need for the compass. You state my exact reasoning. I am glad to drop it and will have the coleman temp/compass as my emergency backup. If bushwhacking was involved it would stay.

The water issue I am starting to think is not a big deal. the weight savings from one 3l platy to two 2l platy's is negligible in my opinion. I think I will stick with the two.

I see the light(pun intended) of carrying just purell. great tip

Have never hiked with a headnet, a few times I wish I had one, might give Ron at mld a call and add one to my order.

I am looking forward to your trip report Dave, thanks for all the advice so far

Jeff

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

S P

Your comments on the knife and bug net are food for thought. I am liking the headnet idea and at half an ounce, its hard to say no

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Rick

I have never used the ultrathon, I never thought about the deet killing my gear. I think its safe to say that when I spray myself im not usually wearing my nice jacket. I will pick some up and try it on one of my overnighters coming up. Whats your take on applying the ultrathon and sunscreen? Will one cancel the other out or not work with the presence of the other? whats your typical application procedure if you are putting both on everyday?

Thanks
    Jeff

Barry Foster
    BPL Member

@bazzer

Locale: Redding

It's just plain silly not to take a compass and maps. Take one wrong turn and now your lost. I take a compass and map, GPS and now a Spot Satellite Locator. Worth their weight in gold.
    Whilst you might well go the entire rim without snow, there is not a month of the year that Tahoe does not have snow. So go prepared. The great thing about the lot of the Rim Trail is that you can walk out to one of the many cities around the lake pretty quickly if you need to.
    A tarp should be ok, but you might well run into bugs that bite, I take a tent, a BD Lighthouse.
    Have fun,

Barry

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

I'd second the compass thing.

A Type 7 weighs in at 27g, A Type 4 weighs in at 37g and a usable orientiering thumb compass or similar weighs in less.

A mouthful of water weighs more than even a Type 4 compass and a Type 4 will do almost everything.

An A4 laminated map weighs in at around 25g – again less than a mouthful of water.

Esbit tabs are 14g each and each one should boil 500ml of water.
    It may be dull but a map and a oompass with a rotating bezel can save you a lot of pain.

Remember, just one to two mouthfuls of water is the weight we are talking about for a huge safety margin over not having them.

I always carry a compass AND a backup button compass on a lanyard. When you need one there is no alternative – cloud or fog can hide the sun and the stars.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Can you give some links to the lightest weight, functional compass? I never said I was or wasnt taking a map. I have found navigation very easy with just a map on well marked trails like the trt. I have always carried a compass before but never use it. Like stated above if bushwhacking and off trail travel was on the itinerary then a compass would be in possession without hesitation.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Here is my personal preference, under 1 ounce:
    http://www.rei.com/product/745498
    compass-whistle-thermometer combo

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Rick. I am carrying a button compass already made by coleman and is combined with a thermometer. I am looking for a lightweight full function as described above. I am still convinced for my skill and the trail the gear list is being made for(trt) that a button compass should be more then adequate.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Sorry about that — I didn't spot that in your gear list. For me the button style compass has been plenty good enough, too, so I can't recommend a more 'functional' one.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

no problem Rick. I am now exploring other options for gear. Maybe someone can point me towards a more usefull lightweight option then what I have? Ahh decisions…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Silva Guide 426 is a great compass that is only $20 and 1.2oz. It has a sighting mirror that can double as a signal and grooming mirror.

http://www.rei.com/product/408185

There are quite a few baseplate style compasses that don't cost much more that $10 and a so light that there is little excuse for not having one.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Hey Jeff,

You're a big boy at 300lbs. Make sure that the sleeping pad you get can support your weight. I would think foam pads are out.

I looked on the BA website and I couldn't find a max weight limit.

If your homemade quilt is going to be synthetic, 18 ounces might be a little too light of an estimate. Depends on the temperature range you expect to hike in…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools