Topic

Miox

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Miox

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Karen Allanson

@karen-1

Anyone used it in place of iodine tablets or filter? Any pros or cons I should be aware of? Sounds like a pretty cool water purifier for large amounts / long distances…

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

haven’t used it, but have seen many posts in other Threads on this website about this product.

if you haven’t done so already, try this:

at the top of this page are some links. one is entitled “Search Forums”. just click it & in the search edit box, type

MIOX

then click the SEARCH button.

i just tested these instructions and the top 20 “hits” were displayed. some of these may lead to you to Threads with even more posts.

hope this helps.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

would rather use Aqua Mira

Karen Allanson

@karen-1

Hmm — I tried the “search” function before posting this thread, and it only came up with two product reviews that weren’t related. I’ll try again.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

there are a few threads on it. if not then try the lightweight backpacker. Their site has some discussion on it. Or maybe backpacker gear tester too.

John Chan

@ouroboros

I use it.

Its really convenient if you have alot of water to treat… otherwise Aqua mira accomplishes the same thing while weighing less.

paul johnson

@pj

Karen,

make sure that you use the “Search Forums” and not the general BPL site search function.

there is a line of blue (the default color in my Web Browser setup) hyper-links at the top all Forum pages.

“>Main Forum Index >Search Forums >Recent…”

click the “Search Forums” link. i entered “MIOX” (without the dbl-quotes) in capital letters, but it prob. doesn’t make any difference if you use upper or lower case letters. don’t use the dbl-quotes however. i didn’t try it & don’t know how the search engine will respond.

also, click the “Reader Reviews” to the right of the “Search Forums” link i mentioned above. there are some “Reviews” by users/readers of the website there.

Ron Stoecklein
    BPL Member

@rs7trout

I have the Miox and I have Aqua Mira–the easiest to use is the Aqua Mira–and the lightest and most foolproof.

The Miox does use special batteries–best to have a set on hand even though the batteries are rated for years of use.

Also with the Miox–make sure you have salt on hand to load it up should you run out.

Biggest disadvantage is the time factor you have to wait before drinking–but its not that much different than Aqua Mira.

To me–water tastes better using the Miox than using the Aqua Mira.

And if you have a larger group the Miox I think is definitley the way to go.

all that being said–if I were going solo–and going as light as I could–I would use the Aqua Mira.

Ron

paul johnson

@pj

Ron,

never used Miox. there have been several posts in other Threads that have stated just the opposite regarding taste of Miox cp. to AqM. not sure now which is correct. i wonder if it has to do with the concentration/amount of each used to the treat the volume of water?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

My theory–completely untested and unsubstantiated of course–from having used both is that relatively pure source water with little in it to oxidize will yield a distinct chlorinish odor and aftertaste with either product. I certainly believe other Miox and Aqua Mira users who report such an aftertaste in some conditions.

Vigorous aeration seems to help dissipate the odor, as should warmer water. A final note is that some folks are simply more likely to detect off-odors than others, because they have a greater sensitivity. There are many common water contaminants that can be detected at the parts per billion level by some segment of the population–MTBE being a popular example.

I don’t have a strong preference for either Miox or Aqua Mira, and certainly prefer either vastly to iodine. On the topic of purification I’ve recently begun testing the AquaStar and am very impressed so far.

paul johnson

@pj

Rick,

many thanks for chiming in here. good info. makes sense. aeration is impt to eliminating chlorine odor in drinking water. i should have remembered it in this application. perhaps i’m used to chlorine taste now since i’ve moved and no longer have a well. AqM seems fine to me – prob. a combo of chlorinated tap water and lot of “pollution” in some of the backcountry waters here in the NE?

thanks again. [btw, enjoyed reading some of your reviews on BGT.org – good info]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools