Topic

Anyone try the new SMD Refuge yet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone try the new SMD Refuge yet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

I haven't seen a review anywhere yet…but I did see a guy selling his recently on the Gear Swap. I'm assuming he didn't think it was that great. Anyone have any experience whatsoever, of any kind? Just checking!

Thanks,

Casey

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

I would also be interested in opinions on this tent. Ron suddenly has some more competition with the Antigravity tent , the MLD shelter, and the Gossamer Gear's One. I have a Duo now and would enjoy the weight savings but I'm not quite sold yet. I would like to see a Spinnaker version of the Refuge with a bathtub floor. I also wish there were pics of the side opposite the door to see how ventilated it is.

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

I think that the biggest competition is really the AGG tent; they are very similar in design and price, but the AGG has a full bathtub floor. The GG One is for 1 person and the MLD shelter has a center pole which is not very practical for couples who want to snuggle up. The big advantage of Ron's tent is going to be the Cuben version … when it finally arrives!!?! :-(

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Since Bill wanted at photo of the Refuge from the back, here's one.

Refuge from the rear.

Also on the question of bathtub floors. We've had a number of request for adding this feature to the Refuge. So I decided to write a blog post on my thoughts about bathtub floor in ultralight shelters. If you're interested you can read the post here Ultralight Bathtub Floors.

I'm hoping that the long overdue shipment of Cuben Fiber will be here by the end of the week. Once it arrives will start working on production of the Refuge X. Sorry, no current promised delivery dates or pricing. And sorry I’ve no plans for a Spinnaker version of the Refuge.

I welcome George’s new tent entry and look forward to seeing one in person at Trail Days in May.

Ron

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Thanks for the pic Ron. The Refuge definitely has more headroom than the AGG tent.I had read your points about a bathtub floor before and was reminded that I always get the ultralight floors in both tents I've purchased from you and thus it really is somewhat of a false security to think the lighter floors could handle a lot of water under them anyway.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Bathtub floors provide me with one thing-protection from insects. My sleeping mat and bivy bag are there to keep my bag dry. So I don't really care if the floor fabric is bombproof/waterproof/puncture proof as long as the creepy crawlies are kept at bay.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Allison, if memory serves, the Refuge X has netting all the way to the floor / attached to the floor.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Allison,

I assure you the Refuge is fully bug proof from all flying and crawling bugs. The floor is rimmed by netting to keep out bugs and allow for ventilation.

I should note that in practice, when the Refuge is setup. The edges of the floor tend to rise a couple of inches off the ground. This tends to make the floor a bathtub even if not official.

Ron

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ron, I like the "bathtub" floor in my T.T. Contrail. Not only does it keep out the "creepy crawlies" but it's already there, in place for a fast set-up and I don't have to bring it in the tent and lay it out being sure to keep it on top of the border netting.

The ONE thing I see as an advantage in a separate "floor" (groundcloth) is that, if it gets damaged or wears out you just get another. No cutting out a large section of a bath tub floor and having another one sewn in.

I'm sure others will point out that a separate floor can also be washed more easily than an entire tent.

Eric

P.S. Ron, I didn't realize that your floor was already sewn in. I stand corrected. BTW, nice design with the peak vent "eaves".

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Eric the floor is attached on the Refuge, it is just not a bathtub type. That is it does not turn up on the ends rather it is flat.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Ron, I like the "bathtub" floor in my T.T. Contrail. Not only does it keep out the "creepy crawlies" but it's already there, in place for a fast set-up and I don't have to bring it in the tent and lay it out being sure to keep it on top of the border netting.

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused. What does bathtub floor have to do with "creepy crawlies". The purpose of a bathtub floor is to keep flowing water out of the tent.

A bathtub floor does you little good if the floor is so thin that you can force water through the when a puddle forms under the floor and you sit on it.

Also the floor on the Refuge is sewn in just like the Contrail except it doesn't have a lip around it.

Ron

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I like a bathtub floor – just because I roll around and I feel a 4-5" high wall helps keeps my bag from getting wet from the vegetation (&/or ground) on the other side of the mesh. (I usally share the tent with my partner so there isn't room to put gear on our sides).

My feeling is that if you set up your tent in a slight depression then you probably weren't ready for an UL shelter yet – especially one with a silnylon bottom that passes water through when you sit on it…

Also, I like the more tear & abrasion resistant non-UL bottom material (70 denier?). I often miss some twigs, pricky weeds and small rocks when setting up my tent in the dark – and would rather not mess around with getting the footprint situated under the bottom when it's windy.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Seems to be some confusion over what the Refuge floor is all about…so I thought I would post a pic. Take a close look…Short of flowing water, I think you would be pretty good. As for the comments about the creepy crawlies, they aren't going to get in. Also, depending on how tight the pitch is (I have never used one) it "could" still support the sleeping bag from touching the ground. FWIW, when I use my D.R. in the unclipped position, the mesh sits on the ground…actually, it sits on the ground in the clipped position too.
    refuge

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Hey Ron,
    hope the shipment arrived?! I am keeping my fingers crossed!
    Cheers,
    Sven

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools