Topic

Repair Tent Floor hole.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Repair Tent Floor hole.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

Hi,
    I pitched my tent in the dark over a small stone which created a very small hole the size of a nail hole. What is the best way to repair this? Thanks for your advice in advance.
    John

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I've had pretty good luck using sail tape. For a tent, or any other situation where you have access to both sides of the tear, cut two round patches about 3/4" larger than the hole and apply one to each side of the cloth. Roll the patch on from one side to the other and burnish the patches to remove any air bubbles. Be sure to use some alcohol to clean the cloth before sticking on the patches. Over time the edge of the patch may fray a little but the tape material is quite sturdy. I've used this on tent bodies and flys, jackets, stuff sacks, and sleeping bags. Sail repair tape is available in most any Chandlry or boat shop catering to sail boats.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

First, you need to know what fabric the tent floor is made of. If it is silicone nylon, there is one procedure; if it is urethane coated nylon, there is another. There are kits sold by BPL to repair either fabric.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

It is Silicone Nylon. I'll check BPL out.

Thanks for the sail tape idea.

John

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

John,

If it is silnylon, the prevailing wisdom is that you must use a silicon based adhesive like McNett SilNet or GE Silicon Sealer II to glue a patch made of silnylon. McNett SilFix sold at BPL probably works well but I have not used it. I don't know if sail tape is Si based … not familiar with it.

If you don't care about matching the color, PM me your snail mail addr and I will mail you some silnylon scraps and you could buy GE Silicon Sealer II at a hardware store (get clear, it also comes in white). Or let me know the color and I'll see if I have a similar color.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools