Topic

Platypus- OK to use as flask?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Platypus- OK to use as flask?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Seth Ayotte

@sethayot

Locale: Western Oregon

I know a lot of people here use Platypus lil nippers for alcohol fuel storage, my question is- is there any reason that these containers should not be used to store hard alcohol for backcountry consumption? If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,
    Seth

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

I put Creme de Menthe (for my girlfriend's hot chocolate) in a Platy .5L bag last summer, and my water still tastes minty fresh when I hike. Like mouthwash, really.

This might not be a problem with vodka, but it sure was with that stuff. It was a 7-day trip, though…

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

http://www.easytravelerinc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10

these are a safe and cheaper alternative to the big name brand style. I have several sizes and have no complaints. Using Jack Daniel's and Wild Turkey in them for months… they will hold a flavor and smell but do not taste like plastic. 3 for the price of one Platypus.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

Platypus made a stadium kit that had 4 small (.5L IIRC) platy bottles in a zippered nylon pouch. It was heavily implied that it was for booze.

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

You can use them to carry your stove fuel??

I always thought they were for carrying 15y/o Glenfiddich single malt scotch.

The only trouble I have found with them is that at 0.5 L, they're too small!

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Platy still makes the .5L, the Lil Nipper was actually smaller. But since the Lil Nippers are all gone now (thanks to myself and a shipment of some 40 odd to my BPL bothers and sisters), it's the Easy Traveler and the Platy .5L as your only choices.

I don't notice any change in taste to my Glenfiddich (cheers brother!) from the Platy material. But anything with a flavor will immediately lay claim to the Platy bottle and that will transfer to other liquids.

cheers,
    -Michael "sawchuck"

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Yes, you can uase the lil nippers. I normally use the 2 liter ones, but to each their own. Hey…what did you call me?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools