Topic

thoms tyvek GCB (ground cover bivy)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear thoms tyvek GCB (ground cover bivy)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Attached are a few pictures of the latest prototype of my tyvek GCB project.

view from hood

view of GCB with bag inside

sleeping bag on top of GCB

Nicholas Seeley

@seel1214

Hi, I was wondering if you could post some directions on how you made this. I am new to this so I apologize in advance if there are already directions up that I can not find. Thanks

Eric Beaudry

@ericbeaudry

Thom,

Nice stuff. Curious if this is made with your bonded seams?

Also, any idea what the weight ended up being? Looking to build a bivy here soon. This tyvek version looks promissing.

Thanks.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

All GCB's have been made using bonded seams. Early versions were made using a 2" overlap seam but on more recent models I've switched to a 1" bonded seam. Strength and durability have not been effected by this change. The weight has been noted in prior postings but that was before the seam change. I will weigh and post pictures of a newer version soon.

If interested please PM with email information.

Guy Bouchard
    BPL Member

@gbouchar

Any news on this project? I am thinking about making a bivy either sewing silnylon or bonding Tyvek. Any pattern online?

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

Thom,

Did you get your computer issues ironed out? Would love to see your plans/drawings.

Z

Thomas Trebisky
    Spectator

@trebisky

Locale: Southern Arizona

I have carried Tyvek that looks like this for a groundsheet and found it almost drove me nuts when a wind came up. I have since switched to 4 mil polyethylene, which is really cheap, available, and not nearly so noisy. I read somewhere that you can launder Tyvek and "soften" it so it is more civilized, but with some loss of protective properties.

Not that I am trying to be a wet blanket, your work looks really great, but I got ugly flashbacks looking at that Tyvek logo.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

When I buy Tyvek, first thing I do is throw it in my top loading washer. I let it run through a complete wash/rinse/spin cycle. Nice and quiet after that. Soft, too.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For this kind of application I would think that soft/clothing Tyvek would work much better than Housewrap.
    Franco

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Agree with Doug, I throw mine straight in the machine, incidentally I have had the same piece for over 2 years now which I use as a ground sheet.

Oh and Thom, looks great

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I was not able to recover concept records and drawings following a home computer system meltdown. I will be redoing the concept drawings and hopefully have these available soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nm

Norman Stoddard

@vacuity

Locale: Northern California

I just found this thread with this latest prototype…wow! Nice changes on the top opening and the taper from GCB1 and GCB2 on the original thread where I saw it.

I can't wait to start mine. It will be a great addition to my siltarp style of handling inclement weather conditions. Although in my summer Sierra Nevada backpacking, the GCB will probably be used most often as GC for bedding under the stars.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I have recreated my GCB drawings and will convert to a PDF file. I will,hopefully, have this available soon to email if there is an interest.

FWIW: This is a great project for a Boy Scout group. I volunteered my time and all the required materials for a troop and we made ten of these for an upcoming summer trip. We cut the patterns on one Saturday and bonded on a following Saturday. The boys had a great time, as did I, and they were excited to make something that they would each have the opportunity to use in the field.

If there are BPL members interested in doing this as a scout project I will try to offer support in the form of donated tyvek and fabrication tips.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thom,

That is very generous! Kudos to you for helping the Scouts.

What a great example you set!

Todd

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I can see our Troop doing this project. Anxiously awaiting….

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Wow! A great project and a great idea for a scout group! I am anxiously awaiting the results as well!

Norman Stoddard

@vacuity

I wait with bated breath for PDF………….

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I will have the PDF plan available on Monday, PM if interested.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I've been wanting to make one of these, since I have half a role of tyvek just sitting in my garage doing nothing. Nice job Thom sent you a pm. Jack

Norman Stoddard

@vacuity

Thom, I am a neophyte with respect to bivy or tent/tarp construction. Can you explain the difference between overlap seams and bonded seams?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I emailed out today a pdf drawing for my tyvek GCB to all who contacted me requesting this information. Please PM or email with any specific questions.

I sent out 12 pdf drawings just today. Have fun.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all I emailed out my pdf drawing to. I noticed a mistake on the pdf drawing that needs correction. Step 1 ends with "Cut". This is not correct, a person should "Cut" at the end of Step 2 (along the outer 2" seam allowance line).

I have corrected the pdf and can resend or you can note the change/correction on your copy. I apologize for any inconvenience this error may have caused.

You try to be helpfull and this happens. :(

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Thom what are you using to bond the tyvek together? Thanks Jack

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I have had very good results using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. In non scientific destructive testing the bonded seam is stronger then the material itself.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools