Topic

Down plus fleece lining?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Down plus fleece lining?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Does anyone know of a lightweight (less than 2 lbs) sleeping bag that has down fill with a fleece lining?

Thanks,
    Mike

Patti Binder
    BPL Member

@quiltbinder

Locale: Southwestern Florida

Hi Mike,
    I have a fleece blanket and a piece of mocofleece fabric. I use them at home. both weigh about 5.2 oz per sq. yd. Fleece is not down proof so would have to be used in addition to the normal bag lining. Even lightweight wicking fabrics come in at over 3oz/sq. yd. and wouldn’t be downproof either. I don’t think there’s anyway you’re going to get a soft fuzzy-lined down bag under 2 lbs. If you find something soft and under 3 oz/sq.yd. let me know. I have a project in mind :-)
    Patti

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Thanks for that valuable insight, I didn’t realize that “downproofing” would be the issue. That leads to a possible hybrid solution I’ll search out: 1 lb down warm weather bag with a +/- 1 lb fleece liner.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Mike B,
    Downproof fabric is only an issue with low volume down. When you get to 800+ cubic inch down, there are few quills to poke through the fabric. ‘Down’ per se has no quills. When using non-down-proof fabric, just pull out any random quills or feathers as you fill the chambers. This won’t work with low-volume ‘down’ which may have so many quills you will be left with little.

You might consider using a soft microfiber polyester instead of fleece to save significant weight. Also, try using a fleece liner in an existing bag for a few nights to see if you really want to do this. You may change your mind. Fleece can be clammy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools