Topic

How do you keep chocolate cold during your hike?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition How do you keep chocolate cold during your hike?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

For those of you that bring chocolate (or other meltable sweets), how do you keep it from melting and making as mess?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Bury the chocolate in my foodbag in the center of my pack, and eat it the first night.

Of course, in winter it's no problem.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Well, after having to get my molten candy bars semi solid in an ice cold stream two years ago I now carry my candy in my cozy. Being insulated it keeps the heat down :-)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I take dark chocolate (72% or more) which requires high temps to melt than lighter chocolates. put the chocolate inside my pack (it gets some insulation from outside heat) right next to my playtpus water bladder which normally has water which is cooler than air temp. I keep my chocolate in a plastic bag so if it does melt, the mess is contained. If it's melted, I will often put the bag in a stream until it cools enough to harden.

When it's going to be really hot I switch to M&M. The chocolate isn't as tasty, but as the ad says… melts in your mouth, not on your hands.

–mark

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Mark, good to know about the dark. I just bought some… and some M&M's! I'm set!

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

At the jungle warfare school in Panama years ago we learned to pack Snicker bars in the center of our poncho liners…. It worked too… So pack your candy in the middle of your sleeping bag… the heat will be insulated out…. use a baggie for insurance… also let you bag cool in the morning after you get up before you put your chocolate in it.

Enjoy !!!

Pan

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

Putting my snickers bar in the freezer the night before then packing it in my food bag in the center of my pack kept it from getting cooked by the Arizona sun

Peter Wise
    BPL Member

@pwise757

Locale: Northeast USA

I make my own trail mix and include mini-M&M, peanuts, shaved coconut, cashews, raisins,and sesame stix. Go heavy on the Mini M&M's and you'll get your choco-caffeine fix.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Cold Chocolate? I unwrap my snickers bars and put them all into a ZipLok baggie. I do keep them buried in the pack but if they melt… that's what the long handled BPL ti spoon is for.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

The higher percentage of coco in the dark chocolate the higher the melting point. If you can live with the 80-90% stuff it'll survive suprising temps in the middle of your pack. I try to keep mine in my rehydration cozy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools