Topic

Constructing hiking trails

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Constructing hiking trails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Durham
    BPL Member

@djdurham

I have the opportunity to mark out and oversee the construction of six to eight miles of hiking trails. Does anyone have any recommendations for "how to books" or resources?

Douglas J. Durham

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

I believe IMBA has a bok called "Trail Solutions", though mountain bike orientated, has a how to manual on constructing trails that is suitable for hiking trails as well. Quite a good book teaching good ethics and construction of trails.

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/trail_solutions.html

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

As a trail maintainer for the Benton MacKaye Trail we used a book called "Appalachian Trail Fieldbook" from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harpers Ferry. 1-888-287-8673

It is sub-titled – A Self-Help Guide For Trail Maintainers.

Douglas Durham
    BPL Member

@djdurham

Thank you both for the help.
    Douglas

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Douglas,

As it turns out the ATC has two books you might think about. I wasn't able to find the links last night.

A.T. Fieldbook: Maintenance & Rehabilitation Guidelines
    Retail Price: $4.95 – ATC item 501.

Item 501

A.T. Design, Construction, and Maintenance
    Retail Price: $14.95 – ATC item 508.

ATC item 508

If you are a member of some trail club and you call ATC about these tell them. The discount can be almost 50% off.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Bill has given some very good advice. I am a Colorado Trail maintainer and the Foundation gave me a three ring binder book on policies and procedures. I bet that any trail that recruits volunteers will have a similar book. Probably copied from the At books.

Angie Sanders

@journywmn

April 10-14, 2008 — IMBA Trailbuilding School

Fairfield, CA
    The Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew program teaches the art and science of trailbuilding by interactive learning and hands-on trailwork. Topics covered include: * Sustainable trail design * Basic construction * Turns, drainage and bridges * Trail Reroutes * Trail Reclamation * Rockwork * Fostering volunteer clubs and partnerships * Effective Use of Signage.
    Info: Cindy Apaka or http://www.imba.com/tcc/trailschool.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools