Topic

Powdered Houmous (MYO)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Powdered Houmous (MYO)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I posted this in someone else's thread, but thought maybe this was a better place to ask:

I'm hoping someone can chime in with a recipe for this one. I bought some in Canada and it was acceptable (I was going to say great, but that might be stretching it)

I'm going on a five day family hike in two weeks, with my wife and six and eight year old. Realistically, I'll be carrying all the food, which will be great at the end, but not so hot the first 2-3 days. (You try lugging 20 person days of food!)

since the kids love houmous, this is a good option for lunch, so if someone has a recipe, I'd be rapt.

Also, I'd love to try treats such as muffins (Premix) Does anyone know if I can steam bake these in a foil and paper patty pan, or are these too weak?

Thanks, Rod

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I whirl a couple cans of rinsed and drained chickpeas (garbanzos) in the food processor (you could use a blender) with lemon juice, diced onions and whatever else calls to me. I like chili powder and oregano, that is me though! A jar of roasted red bell peppers is great added, so are canned artichokes.

I use water to get it smooth, then spread it on lined trays and dry till crumbly. Rehydrate with a 1:1 ratio and a drizzle of oil. Add more water till perfect.

I don't add oil beforehand for longer storage :-) You can make this with ANY bean, and any flavor you like!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Can you get the thin aluminum cupcake liners? They work great!

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

If you have trouble finding light aluminum cups for your muffins/cupcakes, you can bring squares of tin foil and shape them into individual muffin cups yourself. Just press a square onto the bottom of a mug or small pot so that it takes a round shape.

As for baking, there's an amazing product I found recently: egg replacer. The one I found is made in Canada, though, so I don't know if it's available in Aus. Eggs were always my stumbling block to backcountry baking since most muffin and cupcake recipes seemed to call for them. With egg replacer (which is basically just powdered eggs) I'm free to bake almost anything.

Good luck!

Joe DeLoss

@goinggrindel

Locale: Sunny Central Ohio

I actually keep a box of egg replacer in my pantry at all times. For six dollars and some tap water you can make nearly 12 dozen eggs worth.

Most grocery stores and health stores carry it. Definitely a great backcountry product.egg replacer

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Energ is good stuff. It is vegan as well :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools