Topic

Into the Wild

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Oh, I don't celebrate him. Just an . . . interesting story. I can read about Captain Ahab, too, and think about that character but not celebrate him.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ah, but Ahab was a fictional character who Melville used to explore the psychological and philosophical angles of a tragic hero, just like Oedipus in Greek literature. There is a difference between character flaws (Ahab and Oedipus) and those like McCandless who perhaps are mentally ill.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I think it's significant that McCandless kept finding substitute parents during his time on the road. In the book as well as the movie these people really cared for and bonded with McCandless. They seemed to sense his need and tried to help him. But then McCandless would cut them off and move on with no further contact, just like he did with his own family.

By the way it's been years since I read this book; I hope that my recollection of it is accurate.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

never saw the movie
    Read the book many yrs ago

I did not have the impression McCandless was mentally ill at all

I think he was searching for something within himself, that he believed self deprivation would bring. He was looking for enlightenment of sorts. Very similar to thru hiking btw.

In the end, his journal showed that he was considering a normal life, getting married, etc when he returned to society. He had a plan. He wasnt that wacko, just a bit. I think he was sick and maybe despondent then though.

We are all pretty bizarre really if you look really close.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

In the book, Krakauer included his own story of his obsession with climbing the Devil's Thumb. It was this section where Krakauer makes an effort to explain why Chris did what he did.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

"the most important moments in his life was not what happened in Alaska but before, in his relationships"

I'm late to the party, and maybe not on-topic, but Steven's comment resonates. I found neither the Alaska part of the movie nor the book particularly interesting (though it's a fine piece of journalism by Krakauer). What the mostly fictionalized screenplay did with the relationships was what made the movie memorable and thought-provoking.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yikes.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/26/us/into-the-wild-missing-teen/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Near the bottom of this story is a link to yet another story about a missing Oklahoma kid who went missing near Steens Mtn in SE Oregon last March.

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools