Topic

Edible Plants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

Anyone know where I can go to learn about edible plants in Arkansas? I know I probably won't run out of food (I always bring too much), but I would just like to have this knowledge. Thanks ya'll!

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

no one knows this info?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I'd read up on Steve Brill's website! http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

You can find a recipe for this online I know. My grandpa used to say they ate this stuff alot when he was a kid. It's called Phytolacca americana and should be pretty widespread in Arkansas if I remeber right. See what you can find about that but I think it may have some potential after further research.

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

You might want to try you local cooperative extension service. They're usually backed by the state's agricultural universities and they also train master gardeners, which can be a huge resource of info. Also, any organic farmers or their type of publications in your state may have some info on some native species that have slipped into cultivation. I would definetly go after the master gardeners and local extension service first. And ask the extension agents what books they remember from college concerning the state's native flora.

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

I took a class at a community college. We learned the local edible and poisonous ones.. also regular ol' 4 unit gen. botany had a lot of this fun info in it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools