Topic

best sleeping pad for:

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best sleeping pad for:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Locale: the other, big Ontario

suggestions please?

what is the best sleeping pad for:
    – use as a frameless pack (smd essence)
    – comfort in cooler temps (not past freezing)
    -weight (don't need full length – just 3/4 is ok)
    -price

the gear reviews on this site do not provide enough info on this issue. Comments are appreciated. Currently, I use a therarest but want to go lighter and also need the pack support.

Joshua Knapp

@joshjknapp

Locale: Northern Mn, Superior Hiking Trail

I use a combo of the Gossamer gear 1/8" thin light and the G.G. Nightlight torso pad. This combo is warm, offers full insulation from the ground, is relatively comfortable, and offers good pack support. The total weight of this combo is about 5.5 – 6 oz. The total cost is about $30 dollars. I know this is a popular setup for quit a few people.

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

I don't sleep well on closed cell pads alone, so here are some lightweight options that have worked for me:

1. If you like your Therm-a-Rest, take a look at MontBell's line of self-inflating pads. You can add a closed cell pad for a little extra softness, or, like me, add a dual foam mat for pure luxury. My UL 90 and judiciously trimmed foam mat add up to a total of about 18 ounces.

2. Combine a thin closed cell foam pad (like the Gossamer Gear ThinLight) with a lightweight air mattress like BA's new Clearview. The combination offers insulation, pack structure, and a very comfortable night's sleep at a minimal weight penalty (16-18 ounces).

Of course, both of these options are quite a bit heavier and more expensive than Joshua's Gossamer Gear pad combo.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Rob, I use the SMD Essence with a GG Nightlite Torso length – plenty of frame up to about 20 lbs. I throw a 1/8 GG thinlite underneath for summer temps. If you need more cushion, try the montbell infatable and then throw the torso Nightlite under your legs when you sleep.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Locale: the other, big Ontario

thanks all – I know where to look now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools