Topic

New BPL carbon Stix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New BPL carbon Stix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Locale: Central Texas

Anyone have a recommendation on what length a 5'10" person would best be suited using?

Thanks,
    Rod

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

>> What is the durability of these poles in comparison to the Life Link Guide Ultra Lite?

Jonathan — we really shouldn't compare these, because the two poles are in completely different categories.

The LLGUL is a multi-section pole so it will suffer (not unique to this pole, but applicable to any multi-section pole) from failures at the joints and adjustment mechanisms, and won't be as stiff.

Let's talk about "Durability" as a characteristic unique to the shaft, then.

A stiffer shaft can be more and less durable than a less stiff shaft.

Stiff shafts don't bend as much, so if you do get the tip stuck in something, they are less forgiving and more prone to catastrophic failure.

But, because stiff shafts don't bend as much, you are less likely to damage a shaft simply by leveraging your body weight on it, as might occur if you're going downhill, plant your pole, lose your balance, and end up transferring the entire weight of your body and pack into the pole. Pole shafts that bend can bend to the point of failure.

The latter is a rare occurrence, and one that I never worry about. I'm not carrying 250 lb of body and pack weight either, so maybe it's a more critical issue for somebody else.

However, breaking a pole at a tip because the tip gets stuck is not as rare. This was the single biggest motivation for me to change shafts from the old Stix to the new Stix, and why I haven't had good success with thin poles like the the GG ones. The new Stix aren't immune to tip breakage, but the tips are more durable than either the GG or old Stix.

Now, back to the Guide Ultralight. Tip durability on the lower carbon shafts of Life-Link poles is awesome. One of the best on the market, in my opinion. The disadvantage is that you do pay a significant weight penalty for it – the LL carbon poles (even the fixed length ones at 12 oz/pr) are starting to get up in to the realm of "not ultralight", and this does affect your swing cadence significantly.

Ryan

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Rod, probably 120 to 125 cm

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Awesome, thanks Ryan. My fiance and I just ordered a pair each last night and these def sound like exactly when we are looking for.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

As for me it is a moot point as they do not come in a 140cm variant. And why can't anyone make cork grips for CF poles?

But really, I probably wouldn't get them in the 140cm if it was available because I like to collapse my poles and put them in my pack when traveling or hiking through a town so that sticky hands don't pry them loose and go running down a side street in addition to getting caught on everything within 3' of myself.

I am currently using a pair of the Leki cork handled Tours which work okay but I am still trying to justify to myself buying a pair of the Titanium Goats.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Ryan,

How are these poles measured? I recall the previous poles had a detailed description of how they where measured, and I believe it was not to the end of the tip?

Thanks!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

In response to Daniel's question: "How are Stix measured?"

Answer: from the very bottom of the tip to the very top of the handle.

Hope that helps!

David McClure

@dq

What's the longevity of these things? Would they last a PCT thru-hike?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Regarding the life span of CF poles.

If you jam a tip deep into ice, a crack between rocks, tundra, etc., and then leverage the pole in a pivot around the stuck tip, the lifespan could be as short as minutes from the trailhead.

Otherwise, I can't imagine they wouldn't last the length of a thru-hike on a trail.

I'd suggest you contact Gossamer Gear and ask them what they think the expected life span of their Lightrek 2's and 3's have been, and use that as a lower limit, since Stix, Komperdell, Life-Link, and REI carbon poles all have thicker walls at the tips than the Lightreks.

My guess is that Gossamer Gear might think this is a funny inquiry, because I know they've seen some of their customers use these poles over some very long distances.

So, my answer is that in the absence of catastrophic failure, the durability of carbon poles is pretty good, and is a function of wall thickness at the tip, and its ability to repeatedly resist weakening resulting from normal nicks and scratches down there.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I ordered a pair yesterday in 135. I am 6'4" and that is the length I identified through trial and error with adjustable poles over the last couple years. I could get by with 130, but they'd be a little short for fast downhill use. I find I would rather choke-up for steep staight up climbs and palm the top for extra reach on slow decents than adjust poles anyway.

At 5'10" if you subtract half the difference in our heights, I would recommend 125. But that's if you use them like I do – a lot like cross country ski poles on fast walks.

RJ – digging the price. Thanks!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools