Topic

Virtual Frame

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Virtual Frame

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Which way of using a foam sleeping pad as a virtual frame gives the best weight transfer ? (Assuming side compression straps are used to cinch the load tight, etc)

Option 1. Pad rolled into a loose tube with all the gear stuffed inside it.

versus

Option 2. Pad folded back and forth and stored along the back / inside of the pack.

Also, how well does the weight transfer of using the pad as a virtual frame compare to using a pack with a "framesheet" that is really just a thin piece of flat plastic ?

Thanks.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I have done each method and I found that the rolled up pad with gear stuffed in the middle is mouch more effective at distro'ing weight. In the Grand Canyon last year I carried 32 lbs (8 lbs of gear and 2 gallons of water) and I was comfortable all things considered.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The rolled tube works best for higher weights.

Another issue is the distance between the heavy dense things in your pack and your back. A 40" long .5" thick pad folded moves the weight a minimum of 2" away from your back and that can create a leverage effect.

A virtual frame can be just a rigid as metal stays. The advantage of metal stays is that you can bend them to conform to shape of your back.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools