Topic

North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) North Face 5.4oz waterproof w/hood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    P S

@petesull

Has anyone had the chance to try out the new The North Face Men's Triumph Anorak Jacket (Spring 2008)?

5.4oz full waterproof with a hem cord and adjustable hood! I may order one…

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have been awaiting this.. my DIAD has worked adequately, the Triumph looks like a great product.

way lighter, and less seems for failure… not that my DIAD ever has :)

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Wow, nice! I'll be looking out for more info on this one. Let us know what it's like (and what it weighs) if you do snag one.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I saw this is in Backpacker gearguide and now it is up on the North Face Website. I might pick one up and see if my sewing skills will someday warrant putting in some pit zips. Funny how Anoraks come and go. Arc'teryx now has the Alpha SL pullover but with all the features, and a side zip on one side to put the thing on, it comes out at a hefty 12 ounces. On the same page of the gearguide they had a Westcomb event jacket at 10 ounces that looked to have a better cut than the Integral Designs version.

P S

@petesull

I messed around with one today at The North Face store. It's pretty incredible–it's lighter than my windshirt. I really like how big and high the collar is. The hood forms a nice close seal around your head. In fact, I had to put the hood on before zipping up the jacket all the way, or I'd have to tug the hood over my head. It's minimalist in every way: the hem is controlled by one tightener on the right side. It didn't look odd or uneven when I pulled it tight. It seems normal North Face size, which is slightly small on me, but then again I'm almost 6'5, 210 with broad shoulders and very long arms (size XL). It also looks stylish (they only had black), and the white online with green zippers looks tempting for a spring/summer/fall everything jacket.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Wow; seems great.
    I love my TNF DIAD. The Hyvent fabric it and the Triumph are made of has proven to be breathable and waterproof. My full-zip shell pants are also Hyvent, and perform flawlessly.

Edit; I re-weighed my DIAD last night, and my apologies, it was close to the advertised weight.

Ill make up for my mistake by mentioning a way you can order one with a lifetime 100% return policy.. REI told me they will not stock them, but they will special order one for you:

"Unfortunately, REI does not plan to stock the Triumph in white. However, we can likely order it
    from the manufacturer on your behalf. Your cost is suggested retail price plus shipping and tax;
    delivery can take up to 5 weeks depending on availability. For more information regarding REI's
    Special Orders program, please contact us (REI.com, 800 426-4840) or your nearest REI retail store."

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is a big difference in advertised and actual weight! i would also like to know the actual weight of the Triumph Anorak! Anyone?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Peter, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go back to the store with scale in hand and find out the real weight of this awesome looking jacket.

Will you please grant our inquiring minds reprieve?

:P

Adam

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Peter,

While you are considering this important assignment, would you consider weighing it in a few different sizes?

Would you consider removing the tags, sewn in labels, hood, sleeves, cinch cord and weighing them separately as well? Just kidding! A couple of sizes would be nice though.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I wish integral designs would come out with a similar product to compliment thier eVENT jacket.. they have a pullover in their line, but its made from a slightly heavier fabric… and there is no hood..

My ideal jacket would be an ultra minimalist eVENT anorak, with just a small chest pocket.

this could come in at around 6oz I think

but for now.. with the patagonia specter no longer avaiable, the Triumph looks like the best jacket around

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

An Integral Designs 2-panel Anorak made of eVent would be something of a dream shell.

I think they're probably running at 110% filling orders from the Canadian and US military right now. And by the looks of the world, they'll be busy outfitting soldiers for some time to come…

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The only company I know of that sells 2-layer eVent products is Mountain Laurel Designs. But Ron doesn't sell any jackets. Who here knows him well enough to convince him that a 2-layer eVent Anorak would sell like hot cakes? He offers his rain chaps in 2-layer eVent, so an Anorak would complement his current offerings. If he created an Anorak long enough to cover the tops of his rain chaps, one could opt to wear shorts in warm rain and keep them dry, or put on the rain chaps for full protection. Add a drawcord hem to facilitate or minimize drafts. Man, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

If he really has a preference for only selling ponchos, he could make an eVent poncho or poncho tarp (though the poncho tarp might get classified as shelter and therefore ineligible). I wonder why none of the cottage gear manufacturers have designed something like this?

P S

@petesull

I'll see what I can do re: weight information. I don't have a scale though; where can I pick up a cheap one?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I've talked about it before, but my dream waterproof shell would be a knee-length eVent cagoule, eliminating the need for rain pants and/ or rain skirt, and if designed in the traditional way where you can pull the lower hem over your knees when sitting down, would be a wonderful for sitting out storms. No one seems to be interested in cagoules anymore these days though…

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I think there are other posts about buying a scale, but I got mine at an office supply store. It is a nice digital one that handles up to about five pounds. To measure the weight of a full back, people generally get fishing scales (still on my list to buy).

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Miguel,

Reading your post, I think the word I'm looking for is cagoule, not anorak.

It seems so odd that this garment is missing from the wp/b outdoor manufacturers. Many cheap plastic rain ponchos come in this length, and many 'city' rain jackets (the ones that cover business suits) are at least knee length, so it's not like people would be expected to wear something unusual-looking (I would think a cagoule would sell better than a poncho, for example, for those worried about appearance).

In terms of weight, it will be heavier than an eVent jacket, but you can make up the weight savings in the rain chaps (MLD's eVent rain chaps are 3.7oz, way lighter than the 11oz eVent pants). Also, using the 2-Layer eVent should make it lighter than 3-Layer jackets, adding up to substantial weight savings over the current 3-layer eVent offerings.

This is one of the reasons I love working with cottage gear manufacturers; our voices can be heard. So who's gonna call Ron at MLD to ask for a design request? =)

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Here is a Cagoule for you.

Pretty cool stuff.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Yes yes YES. I really like cagoules, and an eVent one would be in my gear collection for sure if it was available. I don't know if it could be made out of two piece minimal seam contruction though, as it would depend on the width of eVent fabric available.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Crux.uk has one event alpine smock … (i know .. i know there is not a cagoule but…)

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_clothing_flak_smock.php

but unfortunately is too heavy (450 grams ) but it will be replaced with a new model next winter …. i hope something lighter

And about the NF triumph ….. This year i bought the haglofs oz pullover, more or less the same weight, goretex paclite (in my opinion much better than hyvent) and much better hood …

I think it is a much better option

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Christopher, I have been collecting images and catalogues of cagoules and other old gear over the years and have quite a number of cagoules (including the Chouinard Cagoule) to show. I have the entire 1972 Chouinard Catalogue. Some really interesting stuff in there.

Pages 60/61 of 1972 Chouinard Catalogue

The Chouinard cagoule is made of neoprene coated nylon, with the neoprene acting as a buffer for condensation and sweat buildup, though I'm not sure how well this really works! I'm sure eVent would do a lot better job…

Photobucket

When I first started getting serious about backpacking back in 1979 I remember standing in front of my University of Oregon dormitory door watching the snow come dumping down when suddenly this figure came striding out of the snow clad in a cagoule and backpack. His name was Mike and he was a dorm mate, just returning from a weekend in the Cascades. His cagoule was a Chouinard cagoule and to this day that image of Mike walking out of the snow in a cagoule is still one of the coolest images I have of a backpacker.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Cool story Miguel and thanks for the pics of the ad.

If I had an extra $150 sitting around I'd nab that cagoule on eBay.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

I just picked one of these bad boys up in black and its pretty sweet. I have a friend who works at a TNF store get me a badass deal on it… but now I owe him a case of beer. I don't have a scale here, but I'll weigh it this weekend when I go back home for break and post back here. It's a size large.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

I just my NG Adventure magazine issue and the first 2 pages are a full page ads for the Triumph Anorak.

The website is http://triumphanorak.thenorthface.com but the link doesn't work yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anybody weight the TNF Triumph by now???

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

I will post the weight of my size large triumph sometime on thursday. I don't have a scale here :-( It feels like its a lot less than my virga but we'll see…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools