Topic

Liner socks instead of thick wool?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Liner socks instead of thick wool?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have been using a liner sock system with 2 pairs of Puritan which are pretty thin and 2 pairs of Columbia Trail Dawgs which are a bit thicker. I have been mixing and matching them and doubling them up. I was wondering if anyone else has been doing a similar thing and what their experiences have been so I could compare my results?

I don't use thick wool hiking socks anymore because I find them to not breathe as well and to get too hot in the summer. I find that even doubled up the warmth of my feet is pushing the moisture to the outside of the outer pair and that they are keeping me warm down to about 20F in trail runners.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I use as thin a sock as I can find. For me, a thin sock means fewer (none) blisters. I am not sure if this because my feet stay drier or b/c there is less "sock" to rub against. Not sure if this is responsive to the question you're asking.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Ditto on the just use a thin sock. I've walked around in puddles in mesh trailrunners (north face ultras I think) and thin merino socks in in Denmark in 40-ish degree weather while it's raining and been perfectly comfortable (well, as long as my foot wasn't actively in a puddle, but as soon as I pulled it out of the puddle my foot felt warm even though it was soaked).

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I'm with you on this. I'm OK in polypro liner socks with thin (Smartwool) wool socks over them in trail runners down to 20F in snow and slush.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Yep, I scrapped all but liner socks a while ago. In the winter, I just add vapor barrier socks over my liners. Seems that the thick outer sock just made me sweat more.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Vick, I dropped even the liners. You might try it, I love the feel of the thin wool against my feet.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Can anyone comment on the durability of thin socks? I've used, and fallen in love with, Darn Tough coolmax socks. I guess these are quite thick compared to liner socks. One pair of these miraculous socks lasted me for nearly 1,500 miles.

With the socal desert looming though, I think I need to switch to a thinner sock system. Thing is I don't want to rely on something as fragile and thin as liner socks. I hiked in some liners once, and they lasted for less than a week. Then again, this wasn't two layers of thin socks.

Wouldn't wearing one pair of liner socks, and another thin sock equal the thickness of a semi-thick pair of socks? Then again, maybe the comparison is to really thick merino socks and the like?

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Some running socks are thin and durable. I have some underarmour socks that I doubt will ever wear out. Then again, I am not a long distance hiker, so this isn't really an issue for me.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Look into DeFeet socks, the best socks ever. You can see their sock options at http://www.defeet.com, you will be pleased.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

I'm going on multiple years of near daily wear (yes, I wear them not only while camping) of some smartwool ultralights and they are only now starting to wear out (the wool in the soles has vacated and left only the polyester mesh weave)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools