Topic

To stuff or not to stuff that is the ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion To stuff or not to stuff that is the ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Allen Green

@allen

I have a new down bag enroute and was wondering if the best way to pack the bag is to stuff it? I never have had much luck anyother way to getting them into the small sak. Just wondering don't want to abuse the new bag.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Yes, stuff it.

You should only do so while ON your trip, though. Always store it unstuffed in a cotton or mesh laundry bag (that is, if it doesn't come w/a storage sack).

You won't hurt it if it's only stuffed while in your pack.

Todd

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I highly recommend making your own stuff sack, tailored for your bag and for your pack. I like the bag to be right up against the lumbar of my back, filling the bottom of the pack. If a stuff sack is to be used in this fashion (as opposed to a trash bag, another good option), it must be custom made to the bottom dimmensions of your pack.

I make my stuff sacks about 50% larger than the one supplied by the maker, and have not had a reason to go smaller. No point stuffing it more than needed.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hey Allen,

Check out this thread on the topic. It also has a post referencing you to another thread. This should help answer your question. I don't see a reason to stuff, but if you do stuff, use a bigger stuff sack than the one supplied! This thread will go into the all the depth you need!

Stuff Sack thread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools