Topic

Quilt Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quilt Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    steven rarey

@laptraffic

Locale: Washington

I think that is what I was trying to hit on. I got used to it.

Curious, now that I have the Vapr lite coming (250 bucks)
    The question I really should be asking is, how does it perform against the TI goat Ptarmigan that was discussed earlier in this thread (90 bucks)

Looks like the the Vapr Lite might breath a bit better?

Interested in some opinions.

Thanks.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I was just checkin out thru-hiker.com for the first time in a while, and they have 5oz/square yard climashield XP, with a clo/oz of .81.
    The 180 quilt should have about the same weight in insulation (~5.15oz/yd if my calcs are correct).

Thru-hiker says that with .42Clos, that should be warm enough for a 20F quilt? I figure polarguard delta should be much the same in terms of warmth…so are thruhiker way out in their estimates, coz from what ive gathered so far in this thread, most ppl would struggle past 32F without added insulation in a UL180.

I just bought a UL180, and it seems great so far, I figure without added insulation except maybe socks and a possumdown beanie, I should be good for 32F, given that I am a cold sleeper, and comparing the thickness of the quilt to my old polarguard 3D s/bag. Itll be a couple more months before I can test that-it isnt cold enough yet here in South Aus.

???

Or should I have gone and bought some climashield and made my own quilt for a bit better performance?

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Delta is a little colder than XP, but still good stuff. (The BPL quilts were designed before XP was available).

Here are some CLO values posted by Richard Nisley in another thread last month. (Search under CLO Values)

The now discontinued Polarguard Delta is .68 clo/oz.
    -Standard down (550 fill power) is .70 clo/oz.
    -Cimashield XP is .82 clo/oz.
    -Current Primaloft One is .84 clo/oz
    -Primaloft One Convexion is .92 clo/oz but, it will not be generally available until late summer or early fall.
    -800+ fill power down is 1.68 clo/oz at the density used in most UL manufactures products such as Mont-bell's (2.16 kg/m^3).

ps: Primiloft is short-staple fibers rather than continuous fibers like Delta or XP – so it looses loft from compression faster.

canyon steinzig
    BPL Member

@canyon

Locale: Nor Cal

Mike has a good point that I have thought about. Let me say that I do carry a warm jacket (various depending upon the season)But in terms of warmth it doesn't seem to make sense. Why not put it all in the down and not add any extra nylon in teh name of insulated clothing. How many actually wear insulated clothing when not in camp? So, we can't pull a sleeping bag over our shoulders as we cook? If one were really trying to save weight (not saying that should be the priority) but if it were, then getting into camp and when cold set in, pulling the bag over seems the lightest warmest approach. Obviously this is what a FF Rock Wren does. I bring a jacket as a redundant safety item as much as anything. If the bag wets out, I have to walk in a snow storm etc. I'm sure I'll keep doing this for safety reasons. But for weight…how can the nylon in a jacket really help more than feathers? Thanks Mike

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I totally agree. Sleeping bags and quilts that double as around-camp insulation should be just as popular around here as the poncho-tarp combo, and for the same reasons. But they still have yet to really catch on. Maybe there is some design innovation lacking that's holding things up.

Jaiden .

@jaiden

That's a big reason I picked my JRB quilts with head holes and a poncho tarp. I figure the poncho tarp can protect the insulation somewhat.

I'm not that UL though (12-17lb base so far), so I may not be the best example.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

My issues with putting all the insulation in the bag are how wet I often get while just sitting around camp, or getting in and out of a wet tent (whether due to condensation or rain) and having sleeves and pockets to keep my arms and hands warm, my matches and light handy, etc…I also like the option of making a pillow out of my jacket if it's not too cold, and lots of other little reasons too. The extra layers of nylon also improve warmth on windy nights in a tarptent.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Unless I am mistaken, JrB dont seem to make a sythetic version of their no sniveller wearable quilts? I can imagine being sythetic might convert more people who are worried about getting their only piece of insulation wet.

Mind you, is it lighter to have a single, sythetic wearable quilt(which might need to weigh in at say 30oz for ~32F conditions), or to have a seperate down quilt and down jacket? These might weigh in at ~14oz + 9oz =23oz, and potentially be more versatile and easier to use?

My figures are probably way out here.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

A lot of folks prefer to go with a lighter down quilt/bag plus a synthetic jacket to give both the versatility and better protection from wet around camp stuff.

steven rarey

@laptraffic

Locale: Washington

Great stuff in this thread. Something to throw out there for my own personal use with the quilt

I carry a thermawrap UL coat, and smart wool midweight zip also a OR balaclava and a pair of gloves (Rei brand)

with hunting there is a lot of time spent glassing which is very INACTIVE and these garments are really required or you can be pretty ineffective, even at noon if you are not in direct sunlight. It is amazing how cold you can get when not moving around. So this stuff is really pulling double duty as sleeping gear and useful daytime layering.

Hey Mark Verber – the small world title is for you, I just bought your Spinnshelter off of ebay. Got it yesterday, everything looks great, thanks :)

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

>> Unless I am mistaken, JrB dont seem to make a sythetic version of their no sniveller wearable quilts? I can imagine being sythetic might convert more people who are worried about getting their only piece of insulation wet.

>> Mind you, is it lighter to have a single, sythetic wearable quilt(which might need to weigh in at say 30oz for ~32F conditions), or to have a seperate down quilt and down jacket? These might weigh in at ~14oz + 9oz =23oz, and potentially be more versatile and easier to use?

JrB only uses down. Ron at MLD can make a Climashield quilt with a slit.

I am looking to combine a camp jacket and quilt to minimize weight for a solo CT trek. I expect to either be walking or lying down almost all of the time, so an insulating jacket isn't an issue. If daytime temps were below freezing, I would start looking at insulated jackets (polarguard or high-fill down) for occasional on-trail use. Otherwise, it seems wise to combine the functions. I think if you have a second form of rain protection or you stay under your tarp until the last minute before heading out on the trail, you can pretty much avoid wetting your quilt/jacket. This is just theory, though – I haven't gotten my quilt yet.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools