Topic

Dual purpose bivy’s???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Dual purpose bivy’s???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I was thinking that it wouldnt be to hard to add some straps and perhaps make them into a sleeping pad chair holder?

Anyone tried this yet?

thanks
    Jeff

dingle berrry
    BPL Member

@thedanwhalley

Hi,

Not tryed that myself but seems a great idea that wouldnt be to difficult to make and would give a little comfort around camp!

Take it would be used with a pad inside the bivvy, would have to ba carefull with some types of pads tho.

Dan

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I use a full length BA pad. It would get a little tricky with some of the other pads out there but then again with a couple of protos im sure you could work out some way to cinch it down to be mass produced. I am more throwing this out there to see what someone or a few can come up with. I think I would be good at copying someone elses design. I am new to myog and while I can visualize the concept I have no idea how to sew it together.

dingle berrry
    BPL Member

@thedanwhalley

A possible idea would to use a custom variable girth sleeping quilt, something where you would be able to remove the straps to attach to the bivy chair pad for the supporting straps, or some sort of removable compression system on a backpack; this would eliminate any weight penalty.

I guess an inflatable pad would give best support but you would be carrying extra weight.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

the idea of using compression straps with a bivy to make a backpack… I think this a great idea (patting myself firmly on the back here) because the pack would be as big or as small as you desired and it would eliminate some weight.

I'm definitely looking for feedback on whether anyone has ever attempted this before or suggestions on how to complete, my idea was inserting the sleep mat as a back pad folding into pack size, using compression straps maybe sewing on some shoulder straps… dunno. Open idea.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Take a look at the Thermarest chair. I was given one as a gift, but have never used it. It is pretty clever. However, they do use a couple of poles inside the fabric to give it support on the sides. That maybe an important factor in making something workable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools