Topic

Thread and buckles… where to buy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thread and buckles… where to buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Is there a quality difference between Thru-hiker's Hydrophobe thread and the thread sold at Quest Outfitters? (There sure is a price difference). I need the thread in blue, and thru-hiker only offers black.

EDIT: I think I found the buckle I'm looking for at Quest Outfitters.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I've purchased the thread at Quest which is the same type (Guttemann) available at many stores. The Thru-Hiker is a better thread for outdoor use. Another excellent thread is sold by Ray-Way. Not hydrophobe, it's a bonded polyester, but the larger spool actually fits on the machine's shaft. It's good for most gear projects.

Travis A
    BPL Member

@dirtymcsquared

I'll endorse Guttermann thread which is widely available in many colors. In my opinion, Guttermann is stronger and more abrasion resistant than the thru-hiker offering and produces less lint in my machine. I haven't seen any noticeable advantage to the "hydrophobic" tread despite deliberate observation during sewing and in the field.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Seattle Fabrics has a great selection— http://www.seattlefabrics.com

Another source for hardware is to buy thrift store packs and recycle the goodies. There are tons of promotional packs and bags given out at conventions and training sessions with very good hardware on them. I often buy them for $2-$3 each and get about twice that in hardware savings. You could recycle a fair amount of fabric and straps from them too. The waste generated by those promotional bags is terrible.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Not real keen on Gutermann thread myself. A bit clunky.

I have had great joy using Amann Rasant 120 and Rasant 75 thread for the very fine sewing (silnylon). The Amann Serafil 100 is also a good thread, but harder to handle in some ways.

I use a bonded nylon thread for packs, but I don't know the brand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools