Topic

New Stove/Storage Concept/Idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New Stove/Storage Concept/Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

This is my new idea for a multi purpose storage container.

A multipurpose storage container for the Heineken Pot and "Ring Of Fire Stove"

The stove(ring of fire) operates inside the container. (like the cone windscreen) Sitting inside the stove is a Heineken pot withe 2 cups of water.

The container acts as the windscreen. (like the cone shaped windscreen)

The container has a detachable flue that exhausts the spent gasses. The opening for the exhaust is twice the height as the opening for the incoming air for ignition of the burner. The exhaust is the same width as the air intake.

The container can be used as an oven by using the area above the pot while the water is boiling.
    <center>

</center>

More photos and specs to follow as I do test and adjustments.

The idea to incorporate a flue comes from the recent post of the Pottery Kiln that shows sketches of the positioning of the flue to create the downdraft allowing the cover to be on the pot

<center>

</center>

This is just a quick movie to show the exhaust coming out the flue can blow out a match. It's a visual for me to see how it's working

<center>

</center>

I added more air intake openings to give me a total of 50 percent more incoming air and increased the amount of exposed wick by 50 percent also. The results were encouraging. It decreased boiling time by 1/2. It now boils 2 cups in 11 min. I wish all things worked out that well. I also was able to heat an addition 2 cups of water by turning the lid of the canister upside down on the top of the canister while the water inside the canister bottom was heating(see photo). The additional 2 cups of water got to 120 degrees. Stick a tea bag in there while it's heating and have a warm cup of tea while your Ramen is rehydrating

<center>

</center>

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I realize this is a prototype, so you can't provide weight specs. But how many ounces of fuel are needed to being your 2 cups to boil? And why are you focusing on the Ring of Fire stove design? Does it perform better in low oxygen environments like the open flame cat stove?

You've hit the nail on the head when it comes to oxygen deficiency when incorporating the windscreen into a design that moves heat further up the pot sides, e.g. Caldera Cone. Inevitably I find stove efficiency drops by 1/4-1/2 depending on the stove design. But this drop is offset, to a degree (haha, pun), by maximizing heat output.

I've been playing with increasing the angle of the cone design to provide a larger space for reserve oxygen as gases escape out the top vents. I'm fairly convinced by the concept of the cone, while I work on breakdown designs for packing. Not ready for prime time yet.

good work,
    -Michael

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Michael, it has taken 3/4 ounce of HEET fuel to bring it to a boil and with the lid of the canister containing 2 cups of water brought it to 150 degrees. Thats just a side benefit. The heat goes up one side of the canister, travels over the top of the pot and down its opposite side as it travels to exit out the flue at the bottom of the canister. As the canister heats up the drafting increases.

The Ring of Fire is the only one I know of that will operate at a low profile. I'm only using one half of the Ring to provide heat. The narrow slots are for the flame portion. The large slot is the flue hole.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools