Topic

Eastern PA BPL Hikers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Eastern PA BPL Hikers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Eastern PAns unite! I know of only a few Eastern PA people here on BPL (Tom, Brian Fitz), and Iā€™d like to get to know more!

What for? Maybe some hikes, overnights, longer sections, and even meet-n-greets, gear swaps/shakedowns, etc.

I live in Upper Bucks, and would like to find other like-minded people to strike out into wilderness with. Iā€™d like to get some more PA AT sections done and maybe some other cool trips (Old Loggers Path).

Who else is out there?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Great idea, Joe. I live in Nazareth, PA about 15 minutes from where the AT crosses Wind Gap. Sometimes it seems like all of the UL action is in the Sierras or Montana, so it would be nice to get some folks together in the NE.

Who else is in our neck of the woods?

a a

@stewby15

A

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Tom, Thanks for chiming in. See, I never knew that Stewart was out there.

I need to complete the southern 2/3 of the PA AT.

Anyone up for an "Inferno" dayhike?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Sounds like fun since I would like to do more of the AT here in PA. I haven't gotten south of Cabelas yet. Although you'll have to explain what an inferno dayhike is, and I have to negotiate some time.

a a

@stewby15

A

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

The Inferno is the 15-mile section of the AT along the Cumberland Valley in PA. It's from Boiling Springs to just shy of Duncannon. They call it The Inferno is because it goes thru all farmfields, and no woods; it gets awfully hot in the summer, when AT Thru-hikers get there.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

The 'Inferno' wasn't quite as exposed as I was expecting and hoping on my thru last year. The section just before Boiling Springs through fields was absolutely jaw-droppingly beautiful though. I wish the section after Boiling Springs was as intense. It had it's moments, but not 15 mi worth!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I'd like to do that hike. Ironically, I grew up on a farm in western PA, but left because it was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and too much hard work all year round.

Heads up…since I used to live in TN, I've gone to Trail Days for the last several years. I am planning to road trip down there again this year in case anyone up here wants to check it out. There is a good collection of lightweight manufacturers there, music, and fellow hikers to chat with. There is a big group of folks from the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon that "hold court" with something/somplace they call Billville in the camping area at Trail Days.

Here is a link to photos from Trail Days 2007.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/6283/index.html?skip_to_post=56978#56978

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Tom,

Thanks for the mention of Trail Days. It seems very interesting to get out there and touch all the UL goods that you can only see online.

I can't go this year (wedding). However, next year seems very available (done with school).

Tom Willcox

@bakwudz

Locale: Eastern PA

Hi all–I'm a new member here. I live just outside Allentown, PA. I used to be a dedicated ultralighter, but got away from backpacking for a few years (family stuff, etc). Anyway, I am looking to get back "out there". I'm game for dayhikes, weekends, whatever. I'm self-employed so I can get away just about anytime. I have hiked a lot of the AT in sections, mostly north of VA. Also interested in doing some other PA trails, such as the OLP, Mid-State, etc.

brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

Locale: philadelphia PA

how about this, saturday april 19, at the eagles nest shelter. it has good water and plenty of places to put up tarps.and it seams to be about the middle of the road for everybody here. but it is passover weekend so if needed we can postpon it till later .that gives us a month and a half to work things out with the are wives and work.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I have engagements until about 2, but I may be able to get out for the overnight. How far in from the road is the hike? I just answered my own Q – either 5mi or 8.5mi.

I need to do that section too.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Tom,

I think that in order to fit in here, we need a picture of us with our dog.

Joe DeLoss

@goinggrindel

Locale: Sunny Central Ohio

I'm in Columbus, OH but was considering a weekend fast pack on the Laurel Highlands Trail in Ohio Pyle SP. They have great shelters along the trail, no tents, ample water, and decent scenery could make for a great weekend. Maybe this April, or June?

I don't think dogs are allowed but for posterity, I think I could fit in with most of the PA UL hikers.
    B

a a

@stewby15

A

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I would always fill my Weimaraner's pack with some water bottles even if there were plenty of creek crossings just to slow him down some. Sorry for going off topic, but…

My Hiking Buddy

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Morning,

Great thread Joe. I am not in PA, but I live right outside Philly in NJ and have been looking to do some sections of the AT and other Eastern trails in PA. I was looking for a hike to ease into the season and stumbled on Pinchot Trail. Does anyone have any experience on this trail?

Nate

Tom Willcox

@bakwudz

Locale: Eastern PA

The Pinchot is a nice trail–well marked, usually in good shape. Some really nice camping spots on the southern loop, particularly around Choke Creek. Southern end can be very slippery in winter/early spring, due to lots of exposed tree roots on the trail. PLenty of water, especially this time of year.

Actually I have been thinking about doing a warmup hike there too.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I did the northern loop as a day-hike with my friend last summer. It was interesting and nice. I'm somewhat interested in trying the southern section.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

I think that the Northern and Southern portion is a 22 mile loop so it would probably be ideal for an overnighter. I have to agree that its probably going to be a bit wet this time of year, but its always a good excuse to make sure my rain gear is up to snuff. If anyone is interested I would probably be going on one of the first two weekends in April. Hopefully by that time I will have shaken off the winter rust…

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so far. I'm pleasantly surprised at the turnout we have here. There have been a few trips suggested on the board, and I thought I should collate them here.

AT: Eagles Nest (April 19)
    St. Anthony Wilderness
    Pinchot Trail
    AT: Inferno (Boiling Springs/Cumberland Valley)
    Laurel Highlands (April or June) *Laurels bloom in April/May
    Old Loggers Path
    Mid-State Trail

As for trip announcements, can I suggest that we spawn a separate thread for trip announcements, as not to clog up this thread?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Joe,
    Yeah, start a clean thread, and see what comes of it. I'm interested in it.
    Tom

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Sounds good to me.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

I PM'ed Joe about a hike, but he has his priorities messed up, and is focusing on school for now. ;)

Is anyone else in the eastern PA area interested in an overnight hike the weekend of April 19 as Brian suggested? Eagles Nest sounds OK to me, but let's talk about the approach, duration, etc.

Tom

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools