Topic

Marmot Pounder any good?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Pounder any good?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    michelle Annett

@andrewz

I have been looking for a bag that i will be taking on a summer back packing trip in the high sierra's. I am planning on only use a tarp and a synthetic water resistant sleeping bag. I have been looking at the marmot pounder because of the 1.1 pounds it weighs and the 40 temp rating. I already plan on wearing clothes to get even if the rating does not old true. A question i have is, is the bag water resistant? it doesn't say it is so it might not be sadly. I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard about this bag very much? or if any one has tried it out before. Thanks

andrew

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Hi Andrew. It is a good bag. It's synthetic Primaloft, which helps in damp conditions. It's not water resistant. I have a 2005 Long model, I haven't used much lately. If you're interested, let me know, I'll sell it for $55 shipped in the Continental US.

MikeB

eaglemb
    at
    earthlink.net

michelle Annett

@andrewz

Would buying DWR coating and spraying it on a marmot pounder bag last for a couple days?

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I think BPL sells ReviveX. There are numerous others as well. I've heard they work on most fabrics.

Only a couple of days?

MikeB

michelle Annett

@andrewz

I meant in the worse case scenario only a couple of days. I have no idea how long those coating last or if they even work good. I am just going on a 10 day back packing trip this summer and need it to work at least that long :-) thanks mike

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

If you haven't done so already, a quick search will turn up quite a few posts about the Pounder. The general consesus as I remember it is that the bag's temp rating is very optimistic. If you know that in advance and plan accordingly, that shouldn't be an issue. You might also want to check out Montbell's line of UL Alpine Burrow bags. They have a good reputation for reliable temp ratings, and their 50-degree #7 bag weighs just 19 ounces. I own a #3 and have been very happy with it.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

It will be a decent bag if you sleep very warm. Independent tests conducted in the EU on copper manikins (EN 13537) give the Pounder a 54F Lower Limit rating for "the standard man".

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Dondo,

Is there a site I can access these ratings for various bags to allow me to compare a bag I'm interested in to one I already have, or to compare two bags I'm interested in?

Thanks, Rod

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Rod

Roger C posted this a little while ago

http://www.mammut.ch/mammut/techinfos_sleepingbags_sub.asp?id=1461

As well search the forums for 13537 and you will get an extensive list of discussion threads on this topic

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Hi Rod,

As of a few days ago, there is. A poster over at Backpacker Magazine's Gear forum is putting a web page together. Here it is. It's a work in progress and akehrer is very open to new input, so if you want to be part of the fun, join us at the thread titled "EN13537".

For ratings not yet listed on akeher's site, you can go here to access the individual sites of members of the European Outdoor Group. Bag ratings are listed on each site.

Dondo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools