Topic

AT Thru-hike clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) AT Thru-hike clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Selena McGee

@selenamcgee

Locale: Kentucky

I am planning an AT thru-hike in March of 2009, and I am trying to put together a clothing list. I am thinking that I will take GoLite Reed Pants, and the GoLite Virga jacket for rain protection. I am at a loss for how much insulation I need to take for those cold months at the beginning and end of the trail. Would you suggest a down insulating layer, or would lighter layers work underneath the Virga? Even if it is cold, I think I will stay fairly warm while I'm moving, but I am concerned about staying warm at night. Any one have any suggestions? I am afraid to take too little, but I also don't want to end up taking too much.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

A great deal depends on which month you will begin. A February start will mean LOTS of insulation. Even an April start will require more than you might think. The Smokies, owing to sheer elevation above 5000 feet, have a climate akin to the Vermont coast.

So, consider down for camp use in February and March, especially if you intend to use shelters more than your tent/tarp. However, remember that LOTS of moisture is common, so it would also be worth considering a high-loft synthetic such as Primaloft for a jacket. BPL's Cocoon series is an excellent ultralight option for such clothing and others exist from a number of manufacturers.

Also consider posting this question on Whiteblaze.net. Don't be surprized if the answers eventually have nothing to do with your post, but the first dozen or so post will likely hold good info. I would also recommend posting early on a weekday morning. Otherwise your post gets lost in the sheer volume of other posts and nobody sees it.

Best of luck.

Kyle Hetzer
    Spectator

@ghost93

Locale: Western MD

This is the clothing list I used on my aborted thru-hike of the AT this past March-April;

-Frogg Toggs Pro Action Rain Suit

-200 wt Fleece (I was too poor at the time to buy a down or synthic jacket, but looking at it now I really recommend it. As too which type, do some research to find what works for you.

-Capaline 2 and a Capaline 3 LS shirt
    -Capaline 3 pants

ExOffico Amphib pants

Things I would do differently;
    I would obvisouly change the fleece to a snythic (my preference) jacket. I would probly ditch the capaline 3 LS until the NOC (although not sure), and replace the capline 3 pants to capaline 2 pant. Also I would take a pair of zipp off pants (a little heavier, but best of both worlds) and a really light weight t-shirt. Something similar to coolmax. YMMV

Kyle Hetzer
    Spectator

@ghost93

Locale: Western MD

Another thing you might consider is carring a bivy or a DIY cover for you sleeping bag. When I was in NC and TN in early April, there were days that the clouds were rolling right through the mountians. It had me conserned about my down quilts, that next time Ill make a weather shield out of Momentum90 to help protect it (if in ground setup, I am primarily a hammocker, so a hammock sock is deffiantly in order).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools