Topic

Deer Mountain, RMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Deer Mountain, RMNP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    christopher witter
    BPL Member

@cwitter

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I was on vacation with the family this summer and broke away early one morning to do this quick hike, I was up to the top (3.5 mi) in an 1.5 hours and and back down in 1 hr. This was my first time in the Rockies and I can't wait to go back! My only complaint was what the pack animals leave behind all over the trail.

IMG_0913

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm taking the family to Yosemite this summer, and wonder if I'll be able to slip out for a quick hike too. Interesting to see the no dogs sign, but pack animals are OK. I've never been to the Rockies, so I'm also jealous of the fokls that have them for their backyards.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

Your photos made me jealous since I don't live by RMNP anymore. I did Dear mountain as a warm-up for my solo winter climb up long's peak last thanksgiving weekend. The icy switchbacks and steady altitude gain make it a great trail for getting acclimatized after coming from Kansas. Sorry to hear about the animal droppings, never had that problem when hiking there in the winter. The view from the summit makes it all worth it though. Give me a few days and I'll post up my pics of deer mountain covered in a 2 foot layer of snow. If you get back there sometime I recommend parking at the Glacier Gorge trailhead and hiking to either sky pond or black lake. Don't being the kids though…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools