Topic

Beer cans lined with plastic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Beer cans lined with plastic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Linda Keys

@scout61

(…new to all this, so I hope this hasn't been covered to death…)

I was hoping to replace the Jetboil (my wife's favorite piece of gear) with something lighter, but I'm concerned about placing beer cans over a fire. They're lined with plastic – and the pasteurizing temps fall well below boiling – so they're not designed to get anywhere near 212F. And I'd guess that the can itself gets quite a bit hotter than the water.

Anyone know anything about this?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I would think that the inner surface of a beer can full of water will be only fractionally above boiling point. I never use my beercan pot for anything other than boiling water, sometimes with pasta but before it is soft it is transferred to a cosy.
    I would be interested too if anyone knows whether any beer cans are lined with plastic

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

by the way I think jetboil could take quite a bit of heavy steel away from its burner surround without loosing effectiveness.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"inner surface of a beer can full of water will be only fractionally above boiling point.

Yeah, fractions of a degree actually.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools