Topic

Plastic water bottles: safe or not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Plastic water bottles: safe or not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Chris Chung

@bpmonkey

Locale: Los Angeles

David,

I can understand you being passionate about your beliefs but having read numerous post by Sarah and the countless others here who share their opinions and knowledge, there is always a cordial exchange even with differing points of view.
    Accusing Sarah of being in cahoots with "the man" is a bit of a stretch and the tone in which you did was harsh IMO (for what its worth).

Anyhow..

I did some research last year on plastics after reading a scientific paper on BPA given to me by a good friend and fellow molecular biologist.

I wanted to use "safer" plastics and this is the info I was able to gather.

I think most of you are aware that there is a triangle with a number in it at the bottom of every plastic bottle to denote the type of plastic.

1 = PET (polyethylene) your common everyday water/soda bottles you buy.
    2 = HDPE (high denisty polyethylene)
    3 = PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
    4 = LDPE (low denisty polyethylene)
    5 = Polypropylene
    6 = PS/PS-E (polystyrene)
    7 = PC (Polycarbonate) & Other (not 1-6) those nice colorful nalgene bottles that leech BPA.

1,2,4,5 were ok to use.
    5 was the best of the lot.
    3,6,7 have been associated with negative health effects.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools