Topic

An idea for a waterproof, windproof, breathable (better then eVent), durable jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear An idea for a waterproof, windproof, breathable (better then eVent), durable jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Huzefa, interesting idea of combining silnylon with propore to make a hybrid garment for breathability in less stressed areas and silnylon in high stress areas. Post pics when finished!!!

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

Well, today has been windy and rainy and so I've had the opportunity to test this waterproof.

The bottom line is that it works very well. After a few hours of wearing it (without a pack) whilst out walking it's been very comfortable and shown no signs of overheating or internal moisture.

The side-vents do seem to help with airflow but I don't know if it's significant.

The waterproof hat I've been using is a thinsulate shelled hat that's been saturated with Silicone spray. This has worked well at stopping the rain and keeping my head comfortable.

Ambient temperatures have been around 8-10C and I tend to dress on the cool side – today I've just been wearing a sweatshirt and a wicking T.

I think the key to it all is not over-dressing and then allowing airflow to take care of any minor sweating that may occur.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Mike, thanks for the report. Its good news that this anorak design worked for you. I would like to know how this works with a backpack while uphill walking.

You mentioned that you have made short chaps/gaiters. That is interesting idea. Can you post a pic please?

edit: I am going back to jacket/pant combo. I really like anorak design but I think that it wont work very well as VB because moisture generated by the body will just find ways to get out through the opening between anorak & chaps. I am also switching over from silnylon to 330D Coated Cordura for durability. But for VB zip-on patches I will use silnylon.

update: It may be possible to use anorak + chaps for VB. The tricky part would be make an extension on the inner side of the anorak such that it can be zipped to chaps.

I will try to make chaps with integrated gaiter.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools