Topic

Visiting Denver – looking for assistance

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Visiting Denver – looking for assistance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Locale: Central Texas

Hello,

I will be coming into Denver for work the week of Feb. 25th, however I am coming in a day early to hopefully get some hiking and or snowshoeing in on Sunday, Feb. 24th. I am totally unfamiliar with the area and was wondering if anyone would like to get together and show a Texan some of the local trails? I am new to winter conditions, however will have the proper gear for a day hike. I've been doing research, but not being from the area, I was hoping a local could help point me in the right direction with idea's of area's to visit or to stay away from.

So far I have been thinking of driving out to St. Mary's Glacier. For one, I have never seen a Glacier, two, if I am by myself, it appears it would be pretty hard to get lost.

Thanks!
    Rod

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Ohhh man, looks like Andy Skurka will be at the REI Denver Flagship store Feb. 22 discussing his Great Western Loop hike. Looks like I will have to go up even earlier!

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

The people at REI are most helpful in these situations. They will be among the best resources for trip ideas as well as possible partners.
    Be advised, we've had a real winter this year. You may have to be somewhat flexible as to your trail picks, because of unusually volitile high country weather conditions.

If you have the time, the Pagosa Springs area has had an amazing winter. Our snow pack conditions almost anywhere are currently between 100 and 200% Have fun!

Peter

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Peter,

Thanks for the great advice! I will be sure to check with the people at REI the day of Andy's presenation.

aaron eshelman
    BPL Member

@djaaronreed

Locale: Central Rockies

Be aware that St. Marys glacier isn't really a glacier in the true sense. It is just a large snow field that doesn't really move. They actually changed the naming convention from St. Marys Glacier to St. Marys-Alice, for the town area.

It is still a great local snowshoe up to the lake and then if your feeling burly, up to the "glacier". Be sure to let yourself acclimatize to the elevation, as it hits even the most in shape people!

I would definitely show you around, but work has me for 11 to 14 hour days for the next month. Not much sunlight left after that!

A couple of other quick hikes:
    Redrocks park. It is 20 minutes from downtown and the trails won't be as snowy. Muddy maybe. There is a 12 mile loop along the hogback and through the park.

Mount Falcon is always a good choice hike as well.

Boulder has the Flatirons hikes which are a lot of fun, but very crowded.

Just a couple of ideas. Let us know how your trip goes. And if you get the chance, to see Skurka's presentation… DO!!! It is excellent! Very fun, insightful and informative!

If your in town on the 29th the Banff Mountain Film Festival is in town and is also a very good time!

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Aaron,

Thanks for taking the time out and posting some great tips! I well definetly do a little research on the the places you mentioned.

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Just returned home to Texas from Denver. We had a great time. I have added a quick trip report and it is located HERE.

Thanks,
    Rod

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools