Topic

Pocket Slipper Camp Shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pocket Slipper Camp Shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Still maintain that ankle high neoprene dive sox are worth considering for around camp if your feet don't sweat when inactive. If sized correctly, they go on easily over boot sox, and protect (to ankle top) from moisture, such as dewy grass. Deep See makes a pair weighing 3.7 oz. for the pair in a size which fits my 10.5" feet, and with a textured sole. Disadvantages are that neoprene will become clammy and wet if left on for too long (just use them for short exits from tent or at high altitude), there is no stiff sole to protect from rocks (those who can go barefoot should have no problem) and muddy, squishy stream bottoms will suck them off (if no strap is added). They are also inexpensive, around $10.

Mike Saxton

@hokie

Camp/wading/shower shoe – I also use the aquatics shoes mentioned in an earlier post. They are nylon white mesh shower or pool shoes that weigh 50 grams/pair for unisex size 11 that works for men's size 9-10. (Aquatics by Sprint- $5/pair). The mesh top stays on your feet for wading in small streams. The sole is thinner than the typical flip flop but similar in feel. So far my pair has lasted for about 7 nights in the trail and withstood going through the washing machine and dryer with plenty of life left.

The sole is too thin for actual hiking, unlike Crocs, but they are fine for short jaunts around camp and through the water.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"What materials did you use for your midsole/outsole?"

Pretty simple setup, I just traced my foot on an old z-lite sleep pad and cut them out. I fed some rope through small holes in the sole and tied knots to keep them from coming back out. My new version (can't find any pics now) have a couple of modified elestics to keep the sole of my slipper firmly planted to the heel of my foot – I can run in my new ones!

Dustin Meyer

@dustinmeyer

Locale: Kansas City Metro

Steve,

Your z-rest shoes are a great idea. I went and picked up a cheap blue foam mat from walmart to play with and came up with a slightly modified design. I'm not sure the blue foam would be very durable, but it is very light. Here are some photos of the sandals and the template that I created base on an old pair of teva flip flops I had.

Foam camp shoes 01

Foam camp shoes 02

Foam camp shoes template

I just folded the side flaps up and taped them together with some duct tape.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Dustin, those are awesome! How much do they weigh?

Dustin Meyer

@dustinmeyer

Locale: Kansas City Metro

According to the digital scales at the post office, they weigh 1.40 oz for the pair.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Very smart Dustin…

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I accidently started a hike last year with Keen New Ports on. I meant to change my shoes.

I used them this winter with thorlos and Seal Skins in the rain. They worked perfect.

Killed to birds with one stone and don't have to worry about much.

If nothing else try the cord locks with your sandles for a little security.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

"they weigh 1.40 oz for the pair."

I'm sold – I think I have some "z-rest" in the storage closet. Very nice Dustin!

Wade Henrichs
    BPL Member

@wadehenrichs

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Many contenders here for the "The Best of MYOG Award"!

Way to go Dustin. Most ingenious and aesthetically pleasing in a acary/strange sort of way!

If you could use velco instead of Duct Tape they could be adjustable (socks/no socks) and could be opened up to lay flat in the pack.

What about a Croc/Keen modification wrapping up the front to enclose more of the forefoot to fend off wet grass and sticks?

Well done!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

"If you could use velco instead of Duct Tape"

Good idea! If you cut the profile out of your sleep pad in a cookie cutter type way, you could replace the unfolded slipper back into it's "cutout" before hitting the hay…this would then eliminate the added weight of the slipper and also give a place to pack the slippers…no extra weight added and no extra pack room taken!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think I am going to make some CCF booties with foam sides to wear in cold temps. This past week I slept in 20 degree temps with only a GG nightlight torso and my feets got cold. A decent remedy was to wear my crock knock-offs in the sleeping bag with subway (sammich shop) bags covering them to keep my bag clean. It worked pretty good.

Matthew Robinson
    Spectator

@mcjhrobinson

Locale: Waaay West

maybe im crazy but i dont even bother with slippers. aloha

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"cut the profile out of your sleep pad in a cookie cutter type way, you could replace the unfolded slipper back into it's "cutout" before hitting the hay."

sweet idea…

NYC Hiker

@nychiker

Locale: NYC
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I bought a pair of "Carribean Cartel" Chinese made sandals at Walgreens. They are a vey dense closed cell foam (they float) and look like a mostly closed river Teva sandal.

Mine are size large at 10 oz. and, unlike Aqua Sox, they are very supportive and could be used for river crossings.
    Yeah, they are a bit bulky but worth it B/C they have real use beyond camp use. Plus I don't have to worry about a cholla spine or other cactus spine penetrating the sole here in the southwest.

Eric

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools