Topic

Pocket Slipper Camp Shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pocket Slipper Camp Shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Zinetic Pocket Slipper, 7.5 oz avg weight

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Those are quite pretty but rather heavy at 7.5 ounces. I have shoes like this: http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901
    that I think weigh about an ounce a piece (I would have to check my notes at home, I forget if they are an ounce a piece or an ounce for the pair). They work fairly well. I would like to replace the thin, hard bottoms with some thick sleeping pad foam. I think that would reduce the weight a bit and be warmer (and more comfortable).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You are right. Those slippers are only a few oz. lighter than crocs. They do have a tougher bottom though from the looks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Integral Designs make a great camp slipper, the Hotsocks. They weigh ~5 oz/pr, size large. Worth a look.

NYC Hiker

@nychiker

Locale: NYC

(bump)

I just purchased the Zinetic slippers and wanted to give you some weights. When you buy a pair, you'll get the shoes, a small bag and a set of velcro bands to secure the shoes when you roll them up for storage. These weights were taken on my scale.

Weight without velcro:
    XL – 8.8 oz
    L – 7.7 oz

Velcro: ~.1 oz

Bag: .4 oz

When I try them, I'll report back.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

I passed cordlace through holes in a standard thin boot insole and backed the knots with load distributing washers to make camp thongs. 1.5oz/pair less than $1

Insole Camp Thongs - 1.5oz

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Very nice Al – I've also made some 1.5 oz sandals. They obviously have limitations, but you would be surprised how comfy and durable they are.
    UL Sandals

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Al,
    Awesome idea. I can't wait to make a pair. Finally a use for the closet full of insoles that I can't bring myself to throw out.
    Bill

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I like the washer idea, but I'm wondering if there is a way to punch holes in your boot insoles, and use them rather than carrying a second set. The problem would be attaching them easily without fooling around with tying cords each evening. I don't have any ideas yet, but perhaps someone will think of something?

Kenneth Puentes

@pue397

Locale: Southern California

These are light and cheap, but of limited durability

http://sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Jaiden,
    The person who recommended I make my own camp slippers used to just remove his insoles and feed some string through some holes in them and tie it off. For me, my primary reasons for the camp shoe is to dry/air my shoes and feet out. So I would personally want to leave my daily insole at rest – but too each his own!
    Steve

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Interesting idea, but … they aren't going to be all that strong, and they aren't going to keep you out of any mud. What's the matter with going barefoot?

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Jaiden – Stock insoles are useless to me. I need the support of Superfeet. But if you can actually use these things in your boots then you could potentially save the 34gm/1.2oz weight of the insoles. Just punch the 3 holes (or melt them with a hot nail as I do) in your insole, insert the melted pointy tip of the 8gm/.3oz/pr. cordlace through the holes and fix with a knot (or to save time untying 6 knots in the morning, fix the end of the cord on the underside with safety pins. This would also allow for quick cordlace length adjustments to allow for foot swelling, or adding Injinji socks in the evening.) I'll bet either technique will work. This suggests: could I do the same with my Superfeet and have a lighter, more puncture resistant camp thong??

Steve – I see your point. However, almost all of the moisture is in the sock and boot, not the insole. I think that wearing the insole in camp will not slow the drying of the system. BTW – cool ankle tat. You've inspired me to start a muti-use gear thread on the subject.

Roger – Correct. These will not protect you from mud, allow you to sprint or climb 5.10b. They're just camp thongs that allow you to relax, dry feet, boots and socks while providing modest abrasion and puncture resistance. They also help to keep feet clean after washing which is generally nice and when nursing open wounds/blisters on the feet quite important.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I know Teva makes pairs of really light thick sandals that usually go for $20. I think they are around 5-6oz but they stand up really well and are nice for river crossings and just lounging about on really hot days.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

The light end of WallMart thongs (much more substantial and thicker than my insole thongs) run 4.1oz/pair.
    That is, of course, combing through the bin of 200, weighing each one and pairing the lightest left foot with the lightest right.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Speedo has EVA material "buoy watershoe" that is $35 (with shipping) and weighs 6.42 oz apiece (men's size 9–for one sandal). See http://preview.tinyurl.com/39g7xk

Weight is not given at any web pages but the price was right so I ordered and received mine and weighed one of the pair of sandals to get the weight. The bottoms of the sandals look/feel like they will grab fine on rocks underwater. One thing nice about the sandals, is that when wet, after taken out of water, they will instantly dry–the only thing that will absorb some water will be the velcro-strap to tighten the sandals down on top which is only about a 3/4" by 1.4" length of material to worry about per sandal.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The airwalks have a similar shoe..so does family dollar store, which are a bit lighter.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Why don't you ask Mike Clelland's opinion of going barefoot in the backcountry? I don't take camp shoes myself. Loosen the laces and no socks around camp.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yeah, well, actually, I don't go barefoot very often myself either. The Australian bush sometimes discourages that.

All things being equal, we take our light joggers and thick socks off in the evening, have a bit of a wash (all over) in whatever creek we have, then walk back to the tent wearing just the joggers. After that, we are cooking dinner in the tent, sitting down, relaxing.

Works for us.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Do you have links for either item? Weights? thanks.

[ The airwalks have a similar shoe..so does family dollar store, which are a bit lighter. – John P. ]

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Steve,

Nice! What materials did you use for your midsole/outsole?

–David

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Roleigh, the specific airwalk doesn't seem to be on the payless site any longer. I think Ben2World may have bought a pair. The family dollar types weighed about 5 oz apiece in size 11, but they are no-name.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Many of the SUL solutions I've seen for use as a camp sandal and walking under water look to me like one could easily slip or lose one's footing while walking across a stream where one has to walk with feet on water bed. My goal has always been to find the lightest solution that dries fast, is useful for both camp sandals and water trekking. I'm curious if those who've used the lighter shoes find them to be fully supportive and gripping while walking across a stream. The Speedo sandals I got look like they'll do the job. Last year, I used the Salomon Water shoes (not the Amphibian but I think they're called "Karma" which are not made by Salomon anymore–they had holes in the bottom of the soles which enabled faster draining) which did a great job crossing streams, but they soaked up water and they weighed 10-11 oz apiece so this year I'm looking forward to trying out these light options, such as the Speedo shoes.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

I presume the weights are for both slippers, meaning they're about 4.4 or 3.85 oz apiece, correct?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Roleigh, yes according to the website and Greg's weights listed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools