Topic

Breakfast Burritos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Breakfast Burritos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I'm considering breakfast burritos for a crowd of 24 in a backcountry ski hut. Tortillas, scrambled eggs, potatoes, cheese, and salsa.

I can do Idahoan dried potatoes and I can dehydrate the salsa.

Tortillas and cheese will go in "as is".

What is the recommendation for eggs?

Dehydrated or freeze dried, and why?

Thanks.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I'm actually a fan of the govt-issue dried egg stuff. Prepare it right and give it some time to thicken up while cooking (it take a bit longer than normal eggs), maybe add some flavorings and it actually tastes better than SOME normal eggs I've seen people cook.

the key is to mix enough water into it to get it completely dissolved / mixed and let the water cook out. If you short change the water, it can taste nasty and grainy.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you can….just bring real eggs! They taste better ;-)

As for the eggs, if you do go dried buy as high quality as you can. And try them at home first. Not all brands are equal. The stuff in grocery stores is pretty nasty. Some swear by the Walton Feed whole dried eggs.

For freeze dried there are two types: Ones you have to cook and instant ones. Both are questionable in taste ;-)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Thanks for the feedback and opinions.

Waltons Egg Mix it is.

I'll post after the trip with the consensus of 24 hungry backcountry skiers.

g.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

actually the difference between the two Walton Feed products isn't about cooking time. One is a freezedried whole eggs with nothing added. It is used for baking and works fine for that.

The egg mix at Walton Feed has dried milk and shortening added (and I can't remember what else) and it is suitable for scrambled eggs. A #10 can is the equivalent of 12 to 15 eggs. The taste of the egg mix is very good and as close to regular scrambled eggs as I have had.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Laurie,
    Waltons shows a #10 can at 48 oz net weight, 25 grams/egg, for 53 'eggs' per can! That's a lot of egg. I figure just about right for 24 breakfast burritos, when you include all the other stuff.

We'll see.

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

Have freeze-dried eggs the fat removed or is that an oxymoron? I have Butter Buds in place of butter, PB2 in place of peanut butter, and dry milk in place of the real moo. Any creative thoughts on using these lightweight replacements?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Of course if you really want to impress them skiers, well pulk in a couple dozen eggs ;-) They'd taste way better and be cheaper!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

You know you could just bring a few cartons of "Egg Beaters".

I have found that for cold weather car camping the stuff works great and the containers are very strong! If you wanted a stronger container I suppose you could fill up a plastic container with a screw top lid with the eggs. Then you would have a nice mixing container as well to make the omelet concoctions?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

while I haven't used egg beaters my friend Shelley does even in summer. Shelley freezes them and uses them to keep other foods cool in a small soft-sided cooler. Not exactly UL but they sure looked tasty.

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Greg whatever you do I highly suggest trying out your recipe a few times at home before you attempt this in the backcountry. I had a friend refuse to eat my eggs a few years ago because he'd had so many bad dried eggs. But I had done my homework and a few practice runs at home and won him over in the end.

If you're using powdered eggs one thing that worked well for me was to flavor the water beforehand. In my case I rehydrated some mushrooms and saved the "broth" to reconstitute the eggs. Then of course I loaded them up with parmesan cheese which is key :)

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I have done that on multiple trips, with relatively cold weather. Crack open a bunch eggs into a Nalgene and use them in a relatively short time. You could prolly get 18 eggs, maybe more, in a 1 ltr bottle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools