Topic

devastaded

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Craig Lewis

@craigl28

Locale: SoCal

A year ago I started receiving BP issues from a XMAS gift subscription and bought a Gregory Baltaro 70 based upon the good recommendation from BP. I got it from Backcountrygear on sale. Now have learned it was on-sale because ventilation designs were on the radar for this year (somehow not mentioned in BP article).
    I now have three backpacks in my garage; other 2 are from 1976! Now recently I have discovered UL equipment is what I should have spent my hard earned money on. I waited 32 yrs to upgrade packs and was one year too soon, go figure!
    The Gear guide issue also shamelessly includes every full page advertiser in their selection. They must have had long telecons, emails for the down-selection. Let's see those transcripts printed in BP!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Don't feel bad, I too have a whole lot of heavy gear I purchased over many years, right up until I discovered UL. I started collecting stuff for five of us, mainly via eBay but also some new purchases.

I could outfit a boy scout troop!

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"Covering ultralight wilderness travel is nothing new for Backpacker."

Not to forget the "challenge the editor" series where they outfitted John Dorn with UL gear … and there was a mountaineering trip as well where they ran conventionally equipped walkers vs UL/light equipped hikers.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Yes Dondo, I remember well that article by Mark Jenkins. That's what got me seriously thinking about the way I was going about doing things. So I saved my pennies until I could afford the Kelty White Cloud that was featured, stripped it down to its 1 lb version and not once missed my 6 lb Greggory. I was on my way. Even though Greggory and others of that ilk are featured the majority of the time, I read the mag regularly for the occasional insight it provides, such as an article on going light using gear found at K-Mart, Goodwill, etc. BP has its place, and I will continue to refer to it.

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools