Topic

Official don’t change the subject on reply thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Official don’t change the subject on reply thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Until BPL can fix the software, I plead with my fellow BPL'ers not to change the subject when replying to a thread. It makes it so much difficult to track conversations.

Reply here to agree.

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Amen!
    It is VERY difficult to follow threads without the original subject. I suggest something temporary as I did above:

"Original Subject" / "Followup Post Modifier"

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Eh, that only works when the original title makers use a descriptive AND short title… precise and concise…

Really the only issue is catching updates in the new posts since last visit or last 50 posts view.

If it's really that big of an issue to you, make liberal use of the 'watch this thread' button.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

I dont know why having a difference subject would make any difference except browsing the "Last 50 posts" view. You could still search for the original subject or watch the thread…
    If there is some reason that it is easier to track threads where the follow up posts have the same subject, let me know. I cant think of any reason.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

The sub-forum index still clearly retains the original posting's Subject. It's only apparent that the subject description has changed if you're limited to the main forum index, which is only the most recent post, and the last 50.

I'll grant that it's not entirely necessary to have follow up posts with subject lines at all. But they're there and editable and I wouldn't consider this "broken" or try to impose a standard upon people's posting options.

-Michael

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

How do you keep track of tangents if you don't update the subject field? :)

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Well, a typical message board would enforce that thread topics, stay on topic, by not being able to change the subject and having moderators keeping people on track.

Threads here start with "Best Quilt to buy" and end up with "Sources for Titanium".

Since I only browse the forums by "Last 50 Posts", I'm obviously for threads that stay on topic and maintain the subject.

Having said that, I still <3 my BPL friends for their great advice and guidance.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

"Having said that, I still <3 (BOOBS??) my BPL friends for their great advice and guidance."

HAHA! I get it.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

That's a heart!

[Laughing at the irony of I'm the only one keeping the subject the same, like trying to plug a leaking dam]

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

Yes hopefully they change it so that the original thread's title is displayed when using "last 50 posts"

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

The way the recent posts are listed, the subject MUST change to inform the reader of the specific subject of the post. Otherwise, you would be looking at a list of posts all saying "MB bags", without any way to know which posts were interesting.

Alternatively, BPL could list the posts in nested and indented threads as done on other sites.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Indented threading would be a boon. I would recommend that as well. But I like being able to review a thread without opening each comment. That's a nice function of the current engine. If I'd have focused my skill set on web rather than desktop/server/network support, I'd volunteer the work to help overhaul the site engine.

-Michael

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"Otherwise, you would be looking at a list of posts all saying "MB bags","

Exactly!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

So, Admin, what is the status on forum threads?

Lack of threading seriously impairs functionality, and it is painfully obvious that many are incapable of leaving the Subject alone, either out of innocence, or arrogance.

Proposed solution and timeframe please?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

If you don't change the subject… at least remove the "Re:", you end up getting subject names like this on popular threads:

Re: Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re Re: Re MB Bags

But then again, if you don't stop to think abut the subject, then you end up getting something like this:

yeah!

I always copy the subject of the particular post I am replying to, leaving just one "Re:" and cutting away the rest. If I want to change the subject to something new I always make sure to include information from the original post subject.

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

;-)

Could you not just go Old-skool and copy the subject line into the to-be-posted Subject textbox with no more than one Re: ?

If people have to be taught how to use the forum to make the Tech work then the tech may be a little broken…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> So, Admin, what is the status on forum threads?
    Heaven forbid that we should try to tell all you guys what to do! We would offend at least HALF.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

So, Admin, what is the status on forum threads?

Lack of threading seriously impairs functionality, and it is painfully obvious that many are incapable of leaving the Subject alone, either out of innocence, or arrogance.

Proposed solution and timeframe please?

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

I concur!

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

I agree. :)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I posted a query to BPL's Customer Service regarding Threading and got a reply on April 27th –

Hi Greg –

Thanks for your input. We do recognize the value of threads on forums. But we also have a number of opportunities that compete for our web development resources, including a BPL wiki and improvements to search. We take input from our members seriously – but right now I think establishment of the wiki and search improvements will be completed before threaded forums. As for as timeline goes, the wiki is targeted for release after we complete Issue 10 of the print magazine – probably within a few weeks. Other projects will get moving during the summer, possibly including threaded forums.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards,
    Don Wilson

Don – Thanks for the update. I really appreciate getting a response. I look forward to the upcoming improvements.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools