Topic

Custom Size Tri-Ti Calderas are Coming!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Custom Size Tri-Ti Calderas are Coming!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Sean OLeary
    Spectator

@redoleary

Locale: Mid West

Now I didn't get all "mad scientist" on this but I've performed the test 2 times and both times I found that using the large size thermojet microlite stove inside my bushbuddy boiled water faster than using the microlite system as designed just sitting on the ground.

Here's the set-up
    I made a 1" tall riser for the microlite from the top of a pop can and the stove fits perfectly in the lip of the pop can. I made the riser to keep the same stove-to-pot distance as when just using the stove system on its own. Furthermore I use the microlite stoves wind screen, with the simmerband covering the inlet holes and inverted it and placed it on the bushbuddy, the two steel rods suggly fitting on either side of the BB pot riser. I had once made a half-assed wind screen for my BB to use while burning wood, but I like the steel rod design of the Thermojet windscreen. I will probably make another w/s without the simmerband and airholes and possibly a removeable section so I can still have a w/s while burning wood and still be able to feed the fire.

Using a MSR 1.5l (I think its 1.5l) Ti pot I boiled 32floz of water to a rolling boil in 8 min. with the microlite inside the BB and it took about 10.5 min to get a rolling boil with the microlite stove being used as designed. Tests were done in the basement so I'd guess about 65F and no wind for the test.

Plus the whole kit fits inside my nested pots(except for the fuel bottle) and keeps the whole thing pretty tidy

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Sean I would be interested in seeing a photo as I have both and would be keen to make a dual use wood/alcohol stove.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Frank,

I was experimenting with Ti cones as well and wondered what advantage is there in having venting holes at the top of your cone?

Ps Nice craftsmanship!

Thanks
    Roger

Sean OLeary
    Spectator

@redoleary

Roger, here are the photos of the set-up, (Please forgive the lack of artistic quality).
    Note: the simmer band is on top of the wind screen and covering the holes.

I am not confident that these photos will come through. If they don't show up I'll repost.
    Cut-down pop canJet stove on can riserJet stove on riser inside BBSteel rods "hugging" BB pot riser

src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1203863877_04799.jpg" alt="The full monty" width="480" height="640" />

Sean OLeary
    Spectator

@redoleary

Looks like they came though but they're huge, I don't know how to fix that….but here's one more.
    Good Luck,
    REDThe full monty

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Thanks Sean

Great picture and very helpful. Now I will need to conduct some experiments.

Many thanks

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

Snow Peak Titanium Trek 900 5.7oz
    Pot: 5-1/8" diameter x 4-1/4" depth
    Lid: 5" diameter x 1.5" depth

Bush Buddy Ultra 5.1 ounces
    Total weight for SPTT900 + BBUltra = 10.8oz

Ti-Tri Caldera System 9.5oz
    The whole system packs into a storage bag that is 4.5 inches in diameter and 7 inches tall.
    Total weight for the 900 ml fully loaded with
    Pot & Lid, Caldera Cone, Alcohol Stove, Empty Fuel Bottle, Esbit set up, Ti Stakes and storage bag. Seperate weights for each of these items is…
    Pot with lid 4.4oz
    Caldera cone 1.8oz
    Alcohol stove 0.6oz
    Fuel bottle (8fl/oz) 1.0oz
    Esbit set up 0.2oz
    Ti stakes for wood 0.6oz
    Storage bag and cup 0.9oz

Alcohol Fuel Bars can be used in both systems…
    BB has the benefit of a using the lid of the SPTT900 as a pan. BB Ultra system with the SPTT900 seems to offer better/easier wood burning ability, frying pan option but it packs larger and is a heavier setup than Tri-Tri as well seemingly being less suited for fuel bars. It also gets the pan dirty when stored without any modification because the soot will make its way to the pan even if you shake out the stove really well before packing the system away.

For more info see this thread.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=6885

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools