Topic

Northern CA Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Northern CA Hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Coulson

@prcoulson

Locale: San Francisco

I am looking for hiking partners who would be interested in going on snowshoeing trips. I am new to winter hiking but I am eager to learn and I am flexible on location (Yosemite, South Lake Tahoe, etc.). Let me know if you are interested prcoulson(at)earthlink(dot)net. I am looking to do 3-4 trips the rest of winter. I also have a cabin in Groveland (right before the N Yosemite entrance off 120) we can use that as a meeting place on Friday before the trip to save on hotel and so we can get an early start on a Sat trip. It can also be used as place to clean/warm-up after the hike and before the drive home. If interested use the email I listed above.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Hi Patrick, I sent you a PM. I just got back from my first snow trip and had a blast. I would love to go again.Let me know when you want to go.I probably won't be able to go till end of Feb.
    Thanks, Josh

Patrick Coulson

@prcoulson

I can go almost any weekend. I am very flexible with my schedule and I am willing to go whenever I have an opportunity. So as long as I have a few days notice I can normally make it. Typically if it is a big trip I like to plan for a couple of weeks… but 2 day trips into different parts of yosemite take little planning. I have everything I need to go already organized. I am in Redwood City so I can also carpool. Yosemite is my typical stomping ground because of the cabin however I would liketo explore other areas.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

would also be interested in figuring some kind of carpool

i'm in sacramento

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I'd be in up for a trip the weekend of 2/23-2/24. Truthfully, while Dewey Point is a great intro to snow camping, I'd like to investigate other areas. I'm sure there's plenty. I'll start the research and get back to this.

What do you guys think of the dates?

-Michael "Sawchuck" Skwarczek

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

Locale: Willamette Valley

I would be up for that any chance of choosing a location closer to Northern California like Yosemite?? You you Southern Californians are just so organized with the trips I just wish they were a bit closer so I could go:( A trip somewhere in the middle might get some Northern CA/bay area folks interested. On that thought any Northern CA folks want to go on a trip?

Patrick Coulson

@prcoulson

I am up for a trip the that weekend. I could even make it a couple of more days if people are up for more. I would second the vote for N. CA. Yosemite/So. Lake Tahoe is my preference. Although I am open for suggestions. I will do some research tonight as well and post a list of possibilities.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Dewey Point from Badger Pass is in Yosemite. We had two people from the Bay Area make it, Josh is from Santa Cruz, and I'm in LA; I think the 4-5.5hr commute was shared by everyone. That's reasonable to me. I'd love to spend time in the Desolation Wilderness but Tahoe is grind from So Cal. So, that's going to be some Nor Cal organizing.

Let us know what you find in or around Yosemite. Anything above 5-6000' will have beautiful pack.

-Michael

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Locale: No California

After my last post I realized where it was. I have tended to stick to trips heading out of the Northern end of Yosemite and the valley because that is where my cabin is (just goes to show my ignorance ;-P). I will definitely look into trips in Yosemite and Kings Canyon. Sorry for the confusion… I just purchased "Best Snowshoe Trails of California: 100 Of the Best Routes in the Cascades & the Sierra (Snowshoe Trails)" so I will look in there to see if there are any routes that look interesting and that will work for both the central CA people and those of us in SF/Sac. I think there will be plenty of options. I will suggest 5 and we can vote.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Looking forward to it.

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

Michael your right. I just need to suck it up and make the drive. I think that Joshua Tree might be a little far for me for a weekend trip, but if there is something a little closer, in that 4-6 hour range I will try to make it. We should work hard to get some sort of car pools together for trips like this. I would be much more inclined to go if I could share all the work and expense of the driving with someone else. Were people able to car pool to the Dewy Point trip?

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Hey guys, I'd love to go. Those dates look good. Hopefully the roads won't close.
    Josh

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Hey all,

I was online and looking trough my books I am leaning towards Glacier Point. I typically like to log miles but we could go mellow and do the Grove to go more for scenery. Like I said I am flexible. So take a look and we can vote. Also worst case scenario if weather turns completely miserable we can stay at the cabin and drive in for 2 separate snowshoe trips Sat and Sun. Although my preference is snow camping off the trail.

Below are the YOSE winter guides but we can really go anywhere (the trails just won't be marked so we would be navigating with a map and compass).

Glacier Point (6 trails)
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/badger-winter.pdf
    Mariposa Grove (5 trails)
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/mgrove-winter.pdf
    Crane Flat (8 trails)
    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/cflat-winter.pdf

Also I have the CA Topo software so we can all have maps either to take or as souvenirs.

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Ok I am trying to get a group of people together who want to go snow camping later this month. The dates are set but I am looking for a complete count of participants. The route will most likely leave out of Badger Pass but I am also considering the Merced Grove.

I would also consider doing Tuolumne Meadows although that is a 4-5 day trip but well worth it.

Lets start to get a count for people who want to head out on the shorter 2 day trip. I also have extra gear if you have friends who want to try winter camping.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I would like to go to. The only chance of it not happening for me is if a storm was coming in. So if you guys want more company I will definately go.

Here are a few suggestions besides Yosemite.

Hwy 4 near Bear Valley. You park at the closure and you can go back as far as you want.

Hwy 80 at Boreal. You park at Boreal and hike to Castle Peak. Nice 4 mile hike and you go to a hut where people stay that is owned by the Sierra Club. I have done both and they are fun. I need to get out of the house pronto!!!!!

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Hey Patrick, Got your PM. I would love to go if it is not storming. I can't miss work again so soon. Maybe Ken and I can carpool.
    Josh

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Sounds great that makes 4 of us. More are definitely welcome. From the looks of the weather lately I just hope there is still snow much less storming. :-) Either way is should be a good time.

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

OK since it is actually getting closer I thought I would start to list some essentials. I have a bear vault with us being gone only 1 night we can probably put the food for the trip in it. I also have 3 tents if you "light" folks need one for the snow ;-). As for food I was just going to take the freeze dried stuff nothing fancy, nice and simple. I also have a snow probe and a shovel so we have that covered. I am going to go up friday night and stay in my cabin in Groveland. Anyone who coming is more than welcome to stay so we can head out Sat morning.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

WIfe and I are in as long as no storms are coming. Joshua we will car pool!

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Patrick:
    You don't need the bear vault. According to the local rangers there's no requirements for food containment against bears. EDIT: At this time of the Winter season.

Folks, I'd really intended to go but check this out: a girl in Fresno offers a weekend of x-country skiing, seam sealing, and bivy sewing. All I have to bring is the JB Weld and we'll pressure test our stoves. I think I'm in love.

-Sawchuck

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

If there's room for one more, I need to get out.

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Anthony,

There is definitely room. Over the weekend I will work on the final count and we can coordinate meeting up. I will be heading to my cabin in Groveland on Fri and driving down to Yosemite Sat morning (anybody who is making the trip is welcome to stay (it has 3 rooms and 6 beds). It is only about a 25 miles to the north entrance from Yosemite. As of now it looks like we have 6 planning to go:

1. Patrick Coulson*
    2. Josh Billings**
    3-4. Ken Helwig and his wife**
    5. Jay Well*
    6. Anthony Weston

Unkown (might be looking for his true love ;-) :
    7. Michael Skwarczek

*'s indicate carpooling

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

but i'll probably need to figure out how to get a ride

anyone going from anywhere near sacramento?

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

I will be coming from Davis and I am planning on meeting up with Patrick in Manteca and then we were going to carpool in. If you would like a ride along with me and if Patrick has room let me know.

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

I have room. I drive a big truck so there is room for 5 with our stuff in the back.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools