Topic

SMD Gatewood Cape Bug Net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD Gatewood Cape Bug Net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

The thread on the Refuge pointed me to this gem. A bug net for the Gatewood Cape. It's a bit heavier than I had hoped for at 7 oz. But as Ron Points out at a total of 18 oz it is probably the lightest double wall tent around. It even includes a bath tub floor.

Great flexibility too. At 18 oz you have a double wall tent, a standalone bug net for sleeping under the stars, a poncho and pack cover. Not too bad at all.

Ron any word on availability, price? Also what is the material used for the floor?

I'm definitly looking forward to this one.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

…that would go well with a Cuben Gatewood Cape…when is that coming Ron?

Ron Moak

@rmoak

I should note that the 7 ounce weight of the Serenity is about the same as you typical bugnet / ground cloth combo. The difference is that the Serenity offers full bug protection and is large enough to sit up in completely.

It's floor is 30D silicone nylon which provides ample protection and durability.

I don't have final cost but hope the final Gatewood Cape/ Serenity combo will come in at $200.

The Serentiy can be setup standalone on nice nights or used with the cape if needed. It should also work well when used with most ponchos when setup with the pole staked to the center of one long side. This is a common configuration.

Ron

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Thanks for the quick reply Ron. When I said I was hoping for something lighter as was thinking along the lines of of a detachable netting that would turn the Cape into a Wild Oasis. I was never able to think of any way to attach that I thought would be reasonable to do each night. But was hoping someone else would.

The SUL solution is a polcro groundsheet and BPL headnet for a total of 1.83 oz. This is what I used last summer with my Cape. Of course this was after bug season and I never had to actually use the headnet. I'm not sure how happy I would have been surrounded by swarms of mosquitos. Also my polycro weighs a bit more now with several pieces of duct tape.

The only other alternative I've seen any where near this weight class is the simblissity net at 4.6. But it's only 4' long and a little under 3' high. It also uses poles at either end and as such is not compatible with the cape.

All in all I think this is a very viable if slightly luxurios solution. But 5 oz seams a minimal penalty for a pretty nice luxury. I look forward to its release and will in all likelyhood be an early customer.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I can't wait to get one!

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

>>The only other alternative I've seen any where near this weight class is the simblissity net at 4.6. But it's only 4' long and a little under 3' high. It also uses poles at either end and as such is not compatible with the cape.<<

Just to clarify, the Simblissity Inner Peace is designed for use with rectangular and cat-cut tarps, as opposed to the center-peak profile of Ron's tarp shelters. The IP probably wouldn't work too well with Ron's, just as Ron's probably wouldn't work too well beneath a standard-pitch tarp.

Like the Serenity, the Inner Peace uses a single pole and can be pitched on its own. Using a GG Polycryo groundsheet beneath the Inner Peace, or a UL bivy bag for lower leg coverage, also provides the flexibility to forgo the netting altogether on bug-free nights.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I used my Sea2Summit bug net with my Gatewood Cape last summer and it worked well. The weight however was less than desired. Also I could not use it as a stand alone on nice conditions. I am very excited about this. As stated above, this is one heck of a shelter, rain protection, and pack cover.

Ron, I am glad that you did this. Not only would I have to rid myself of my ground cloth and and heavy bug net, but my weight savings will be around 12 ounces less with you bug shelter. I posted pics of how I had this set up but cannot find them at the moment

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Ken I think you were speaking about this link kennyhel77gatewood and Sea to Summit bug

A great set up in my view and Ron's Serenity is an improvement on this.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Ron, are you going to offer the Serenity as a stand alone item? I already own the cape and would like to purchase the bug net. If so, what is the price?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Roger. Yep that is it and man, Ron's improvement is soooo welcomed by me. I mean, as a stand alone shelter and as a double wall tent, this is perfect. Best of all I am shedding ounces with the Serenity!!!!!!

Ron Moak

@rmoak

The Serenity will be a standalone product. I don't have final pricing but I believe it'll come in at around $90.

Combine the Serinity with the Gatewood Cape, you'd have a single person double wall tent that would weight in at 18 ounces and sells for $200. And you've got rain gear tossed in for free.

Should start shipping sometime in March.

Ron

PS. There is a slight tweak to the Gatwood Cape harness to make it work cleanly with the Serenity. So when you order your Serenity, you'll need to send in your harness so it can be adjusted.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Ron,

That Serenity shelter really looks awesome, can't wait till it comes out. The serenity/gatewood cape combo will probably make me stop using my lunar solo during bug season.

With the amount of snowpack we have in the cascades now in Washington state I get the feeling there are going to be bugs into October :(

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ron, just let us know when it is ready!!!

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools