Topic

Ozark Highland Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Berkompas

@vantoast

Locale: West

Hey guys, I need a recommendation on where to start on this trail in early March. A few buddies and I are going down to Arkansas and we want a good trail part to do some easy hiking and good fishing.

Does anyone know of any good spots on this trail??

Kyle

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

I've only done the sections from Woolum to Richland Creek Campground (20+ miles) and from Lick Branch to White Rock Mountain (38 miles). Both are great, and I doubt you can go wrong with any part of the trail. Lick Branch to White Rock is a lot of up and down, 1000 feet at a time, so if you want something "easy" that's not it. I'm pretty sure the Ozark Highlands Trail Guidebook has elevation graphs if that factors into your decision.

I don't know about the fishing, since I don't fish. The trail ends at the Buffalo River, and there is a trail off the OHT at White Rock Mountain going to Shores Lake, which I would guess is a fishing spot. I don't remember if the OHT Guidebook has any info about fishing.

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

If you could only hike one section of the trail, it absolutely has to be Section 3 (19.3 miles) from Cherry Bend to Lick Branch. If you want to do a little more mileage, do Section 2 first (starting at White Rock Mtn, very cool place) for a total of 38.2 miles.

Fishing a long the OHT is hit or miss. Section 3 contains Indian Creek which is a decent sized waterway and might land you a few. Your best bet would be to go to the Mulberry River, which you must cross over (by car) to get to the trail head.

The Mulberry River is quite a well known river for floating, but has some good fishing waters as well.

Order your OHT Guide book directly from the source:
    http://store.cloudland.net/merchant.ihtml?pid=2&step=4

James Ennis

@jimennis

Locale: South

I hiked Sections 2 & 3 last month (January-MLK weekend) and the creeks were not flowing much. We were able to boulder hop all the creeks, including Indian Creek. You might find some holes to fish in, but it may be sparse next month, unless we get some big rains. Watch the weather, check with people in the area before you leave, and make your decision about fishing at that time. Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools