Topic

Vargo Decagon vs Penny Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vargo Decagon vs Penny Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gary Classen

@gclassen

Anybody have experience with the Decagon from Vargo. I just purchased one and used a primer and windscreen because of slow and poor heat output. The Penny Stove works like a rocket compared to the Vargo.

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

I've bought one and it seems to struggle even under the best of conditions. Sometimes after its got going with all the jets burning just putting a pot on top of it will be enough to snuff it out.

I think there might be two issues with it – it's not very good at pre-heating itself and the vapour chamber is too large to drive the jets.

I've not yet taken it into the field – I'm still trying to understand if there is an optimum amount of fuel that it will burn happily off.

In the mean time I'm getting used to an Esbit Wing stove and 11g windshield that seems to work much better…

The Triad became an interesting piece of art. The Decagon might well become a pretty frisbee. Frankly I'm disappointed that they cannot produce commercially something that works as well as many of the can stoves out there.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Same reaction here–I can't get the Vargo to achieve a robust, steady flame even under ideal (indoor) conditions, and I'm not ready to trust it in the field. One thing I've noticed is pot condensation dripping back into the stove, perhaps cooling or diluting the fuel?

There may be a trick or technique I'm missing, but so far it's been a bust.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Vargo stoves are pretty and conceptually very good. But personal experience tells me they are nothing more than that. My homemade stoves are a mix of great ones, good ones, and a few early ones stunk! I much prefer my own or Tinny's @ MBD.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I do not have any experience with the Decagon but the Vargo stoves I have used don't work nearly as well as most soda pop can stoves I have made or bought from Tinny or Trail Designs.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

My Triad stove was my most disappointing purchase of all time. But it sure does look cool ;) Sounds like the Decgon has the same kinds of problems.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Allison,
    I agree. The Vargo stove is by far (FeatherFire not withstanding) the coolest looking stove. It would be so cool if one could somehow affix some Vargo-like folding legs and pot stand to a soda can stove.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Denis "It would be so cool if one could somehow affix some Vargo-like folding legs and pot stand to a soda can stove."

How about some MSR-like folding legs…

stove

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I can't get the Vargo to achieve a robust, steady flame even under ideal (indoor) conditions,
    I found that they need a very good windshield fitted quite close, and they needed to be thoroughly primed or preheated to a hot boil before they will function very well.

I also found that the more complicated one went a lot better if you added a couple of lower jets to heat the fuel tank more. There are some reviews of mine which explain this.

Basically, they don't heat themselves enough under most conditions – they don't have enough thermal feedback.

Cheers

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Fastwalker:
    This is fantastic. At BPL, ask and ye shall receive. Can you give us a shot showing the leg attachment?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I use my decagon for frying, and a soda can stove for fast boiling. The decagon can lose a lot of heat through the base, and works better if you prop it on a few twigs just clear of the ground with a windshield round it. I also made a cup shaped shield from an msr 'skirt' which reflects more heat back onto the reservoir and sometimes drives it into 'turbo mode'.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools